Max Anwar Guest

Default which association of home inspectors?

Hey guys
    I'm a new comer to Ontario from London, UK. I've several years experience in quality control and inspection field. Wish to become a home inspector but don't know which association to join and what courses to take etc. I'd appreciate any unbiased advise. Many thanks

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: which association of home inspectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Anwar View Post
    I'd appreciate any unbiased advise.
    That leaves me out. I'd only ramble on and on about the one I've belonged to for the past 15 years - hardly unbiased!

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Associations have different benefits, it depends on what you want out of an association.

Personally speaking I don't rely on any association to look out after my interests and sometimes they appear to be only looking out after the associations interests.

First make a list of what you want to to get from an association.
    Determine if the association is actually providing those items on the list .
    Determine if you are looking for substance or appearance.
    Determine if the cost is worth the real benefits of that association.
    You may find that you are paying for name recognition without real substance that you may be looking for.
    You may be paying for hype without real depth in the offerings.
    Best to look deep under the surface, if it is difficult to obtain creditable information or answers to questions, it may not be for you.

James Duffin Guest

If yours is a licensed state I would not mess with an association. Your state license trumps an association certification every time. I spend over $1000/ year now to maintain my licenses so I sure don't need to add another fee just for an associations name.

Hey guys
    I'm a new comer to Ontario from London, UK. I've several years experience in quality control and inspection field. Wish to become a home inspector but don't know which association to join and what courses to take etc. I'd appreciate any unbiased advise. Many thanks
    Max,

In my opinion, the reason to join an association is to be able to talk with other inspectors and share knowledge. I found a good chapter nearby and eventually joined the association because of the people in the chapter, not because of the association. I recommend that you find what associations have chapters near you and attend meetings. Base your decision on what you find out at the meetings and whether or not the information that you get at the meetings is useful and if you like the people that attend.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    In my opinion, the reason to join an association is to be able to talk with other inspectors and share knowledge.
    Absolutely! I would find it significantly more difficult to stay up with trends and information had I not had a good connection to others in the field. Good inspectors feed off of each other by sharing knowledge. No way would I be where I am had I tried a "solo" route.

As far as state licensing - my state couldn't care less what I know as long as I meet the minimalistic requirements that it sets. In the 3 days of classes I sat through earlier this year at a national conference I came away with no state credits because I didn't take the "right" combination of sessions. Most of the ones I attended were advanced levels and they weren't recognized by the state. If I stayed with only what the state requires I'd never get beyond the basic "101" level of information. The association I belong to helps me go far beyond the state's pathetic requirements.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Eric opined in part:

Absolutely! I would find it significantly more difficult to stay up with trends and information had I not had a good connection to others in the field. Good inspectors feed off of each other by sharing knowledge. No way would I be where I am had I tried a "solo" route.
    Who needs to join an association to do what you describe above when you can do what you need right here on this very board, without leaving the comfort of your home?

We are feeding off each other here in real time and having more knowledge at our disposal in cyber space then you could ever find under one roof of an association meeting. But some may prefer face to face contact and to be able to press the flesh, so to speak
    The luxury of this medium is the ability of fellow inspectors to pull up and post documents to support their discussion further aiding in the education of all. Something you can't readily do sitting facing each other.

Max Anwar Guest

Hey, guys
    Thanks for all the words of wisdom, it's much appreciated. I get the picture, all I need is right here on the InspectionNews forum.
    I aim to stay in touch, many thanks.
    Max

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post

As far as state licensing - my state couldn't care less what I know as long as I meet the minimalistic requirements that it sets. In the 3 days of classes I sat through earlier this year at a national conference I came away with no state credits because I didn't take the "right" combination of sessions. Most of the ones I attended were advanced levels and they weren't recognized by the state. If I stayed with only what the state requires I'd never get beyond the basic "101" level of information. The association I belong to helps me go far beyond the state's pathetic requirements.
    Some folks can self study and some folks can't. What ever works for you. I guess that's why I like the on-line CE classes vs the sit in a classroom and listen to the always present super-inspector (or two) brag for 8 hours.

Finding good classes/seminars can be a challenge but when you do it's mind-numbing. It's my experience that many of the experts from the various fields do not participate on H.I. forums. Too many times I have picked up information in a top drawer seminar and when I mention it on a forum it would not be unusual for the other posters to have no clue what I was talking about because they never heard of such a thing from the other inspectors in the closed environment of a forum.

IAQ is a good example. A significant amount of info bantered around on the forums is just plain wrong - some of it by inspectors who are well regarded in the field. What it boils down to is if you are not aware of all the information that is "out there" then how would you know what is being missed? The fact is, as difficult as it may be to accept, you can't be the best you can without venturing beyond the forums. For those of you who do not agree with that I respectfully say that I understand why.

As for the online classes - they're generally taught by home inspectors, not experts from the various fields. While they may be sufficient for getting one's feet on the ground, they stay more in line with the basics and seldom stretch into advanced theories and concepts and practices. It's not until you get into the "higher" level of training that you begin to analyze things differently, and most likely, more correctly.

Last edited by Eric Barker; 09-18-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added additional thoughts.
    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Hey guys
    From what I have seen CAPHI is you better option in Canada. But, I'm also an outsider looking in. My suggestion is to find some local home inspectors and speak with them to see when they are having a local meeting. If you like the group then join them.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    From what I have seen CAPHI is you better option in Canada. But, I'm also an outsider looking in. My suggestion is to find some local home inspectors and speak with them to see when they are having a local meeting. If you like the group then join them.
    From my experience first hand I would avoid anything associated with CAHPI, that includes OAHI (Ontario) which is an affiliate of CAHPI.

Your question is flawed to begin with.

Each association should be viewed as a separate business decision based on what membership costs vs. benefits provided. You may find it makes good business sense to join more than one or none. It's not a church. Visit each association's member benefits page to make your decisions.

InterNACHI has 575 members in your Province of Ontario. Like Scott suggested, maybe speak with them.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

I choose to go with Internachi (www.nachi.org). I'm regulated by my state but I still choose an association because the state doesn't provide any advice or education. Many of Nachi's free on-line classes are approved by my state for continuing education. At first I found the web site a little confusing. If you join and have any trouble feel free to contact me for help. They use the same message board set up as on here and you can send private messages to members. The founder Nick often will give out a free years membership. Try asking at FastReply@nachi.org . Good luck with who you choose.

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

Max,
    Most have focused on only the association part of your question, myself included.

Courses:
    The other part was courses to take. Most courses that I have seen focus on only the real minimum information. Some organizations offer training that may be good to the uninformed so therefore of value, but lack real depth. I am sure that someone will chime in with a commercial for their organization with a lot of blathering, for that I am sorry. I am not familiar with Ontario or other territories for Lic requirements, but they typically require only the minimum amount of knowledge. I would suggest getting a job, offer yourself at a slave wage, with a good home improvement contractor that is has a lot of work on the books. Work as a helper observing what is done, how it is done and ask questions about why the repair is being done in the manor that it is. Point being, the contractor is repairing other peoples work good and bad. You will see a lot of what is hidden from the surface inspection. You will get a feel for the problems that are hiding and what is needed in their correction. You would need a contractor that covers all areas of work from the roof to the basement including elect and plumbing. Then in about fie years you will be on the start to getting a good basic understanding of what you will be asked to inspect. Unless you are just out to make an easy buck following the minimal sop of the State, Province, Territory, Parrish or Organization. Then a few courses under your belt and your off and running. I know it may sound sarcastic, but the real problem with the inspections that are being offered by to many is that they just do not have the real experience of what is under the surface of what they are looking at. They operate under performing to the minimal sop that is requires and hedge their comments as so to not frazzle the feathers of the real estate community. The inspection business is typically only visual and that is what is proffered to the client. Though it is better to know the why behind what is being seen and have the ability to offer informed expert opinions on the inspection.

Very true. But there is no way to learn efficiently from experience. Statistically, you might spend 150 years in the field before you'd see all the on-site situations and meet all the subject matter experts that are in our online, video training courses. Maybe 1,000 years.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

[/QUOTE]
    Each association should be viewed as a separate business decision based on what membership costs vs. benefits provided. You may find it makes good business sense to join more than one or none. It's not a church.
    .[/QUOTE]

I found customers will often search who you associate yourself with..Talking to those clinets I found it's always good to research the orgs President, or in some cases the orgs owner.
    This can be easly done by you you or your poential clinets by googling the names of the home inspector orgs owners or presidents.
    Hint.. Behind the names add stupid, scumbags, sue, or often some profanity words.

If the org has an open to the public chat board, does the information found on that chat board reprensent the way you do business. Do you agree with making negitave statements, and often lies about memebrs of other associations made by the members and leaders of that org. Does that represent the way you think about others in the home inspection profession, or real estate professionals, all on an open to the public chat board.

Does the orgs web site market to the public to hire an experienced professional inspector, or does the org offer on-line continued education and offer to instantly certify you, or your poential clinets on-line..

If you pay to join an org do you want to know where your dues go? You may find there is one or more org brags how they sue, or publicy bash, , often slander and lie, about anybody that dont believe the same things they do,tis is all supported with your annual dues.

If an org brags about how much they do for you, does the list offer anything that you can use that you cannot get elsewhere for free, by simpy googling the topic, or at local seminars with other local inspectors often at cost far less than what it will cost you by paying annual fees?

If an org owner tries to convince you don't need hands on/ class room inspection training and continued ed with other local inspectors, just HIS on-line training and CE, have you ever tried to figure out why someone would say that to a new inspector?

Last edited by Dan Harris; 09-20-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Max,
    Most have focused on only the association part of your question, myself included.

Courses:
    The other part was courses to take. Most courses that I have seen focus on only the real minimum information. Some organizations offer training that may be good to the uninformed so therefore of value, but lack real depth. I am sure that someone will chime in with a commercial for their organization with a lot of blathering, for that I am sorry. I am not familiar with Ontario or other territories for Lic requirements, but they typically require only the minimum amount of knowledge. I would suggest getting a job, offer yourself at a slave wage, with a good home improvement contractor that is has a lot of work on the books. Work as a helper observing what is done, how it is done and ask questions about why the repair is being done in the manor that it is. Point being, the contractor is repairing other peoples work good and bad. You will see a lot of what is hidden from the surface inspection. You will get a feel for the problems that are hiding and what is needed in their correction. You would need a contractor that covers all areas of work from the roof to the basement including elect and plumbing. Then in about fie years you will be on the start to getting a good basic understanding of what you will be asked to inspect. Unless you are just out to make an easy buck following the minimal sop of the State, Province, Territory, Parrish or Organization. Then a few courses under your belt and your off and running. I know it may sound sarcastic, but the real problem with the inspections that are being offered by to many is that they just do not have the real experience of what is under the surface of what they are looking at. They operate under performing to the minimal sop that is requires and hedge their comments as so to not frazzle the feathers of the real estate community. The inspection business is typically only visual and that is what is proffered to the client. Though it is better to know the why behind what is being seen and have the ability to offer informed expert opinions on the inspection.
    I agree and that is why I don't have much use for third party associations whose main objective is to make money for the owners. I have had my electrical, plumbing, and heating license for over 30 years and no amount of videos is going to cover what I learned in the field doing the work. To think so is a insult to folks like me but it does sell memberships to a novice with no actual experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    Very true. But there is no way to learn efficiently from experience. Statistically, you might spend 150 years in the field before you'd see all the on-site situations and meet all the subject matter experts that are in our online, video training courses. Maybe 1,000 years.
    LMAO. That's got to be the funniest claim you've ever made.

Max, I'd stay away from any association that trolls forums hunting for new members.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

I was wondering how long this would stay civil.
    Figured the NACHI stalker Harris would appear at some point.LOL

Yep, new it was coming.
    Just a mater of time when the word "association" is used in any thread.
    The commercials start coming...... Plop - Plop - Fiz -Fiz, but no relief.
    Watch it will become worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    I was wondering how long this would stay civil.
    Figured the NACHI stalker Harris would appear at some point.LOL
    Hmm. Thats odd... I never stated any orgs name, and a nacho member claims my info must be about nacho.
    When will the other guilty orgs stand up

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Hope to see you guys in Vegas.
    We can talk then as I have no more time to waste on forum haters .

Hope to see you guys in Vegas.
    We can talk then as I have no more time to waste on forum haters .
    I'll be there. The home inspection org I am a member of are very strict about it's members getting proper continued education hours, to assure my clinets get the most experienced and knowledgeable inspectors. Not only do they confirm the CE I obtain helps the clinets, and not the sole owner of an org, they audit my CE hours ever year. I need four more hours to remain a member.
    I'm staying at Balleys, for free I'll make sure to catch you at one of the seminars or in the exhibtors hall.

www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    I'll be there. The home inspection org I am a member of are very strict about it's members getting proper continued education hours, to assure my clinets get the most experienced and knowledgeable inspectors. Not only do they confirm the CE I obtain helps the clinets, and not the sole owner of an org, they audit my CE hours ever year. I need four more hours to remain a member.
    I'm staying at Balleys, for free I'll make sure to catch you at one of the seminars or in the exhibtors hall.
    Dan try and Make Dominic s talk.
    The guy is a genius and will teach you much about SEO for websites if you want that.
    He came to Chicago at our local ASHI invite to a packed house.
    The talk is 8 hours long and zooms by.

No I am not ASHI (NACHI)but have no issue with any of the other guys.

This association bashing is ridiculous as it is all personal choice and business decision/not union wars.

They both have advantages/disadvantages.In Chicago the logo marketing of a brand means nothing compared to how you present yourself so I picked Education and forum brotherhood.

ASHI has some good classes (proctored/taught) but they are overpriced.
    They are good for association brand marketing if you are say in the St-Lois area where Agents will only use ASHI because ASHI sold them on that.

I speak fact and certainly care less where guys go other than myself.

Right now I am walking distance to ASHI National headquarters if that says anything.

No I am not ASHI (NACHI)but have no issue with any of the other guys.
    Though I regretted to see that first part , I agree with the second. There are many smart people throughout our field just as there are numbskulls and I can't say that one association will necessarily will make one a better inspector than another association. Especially if an inspector didn't have the drive to excel in the first place.

As for slamming and demeaning remarks - I really don't see the upper tier inspectors involved with that. Just an observation on my part.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

The one problem with the associations - they narrowly define what CEU's they think best for you.

In my opinion I know what I want to learn, and I believe if I want to take an accounting course or advertising course or first aid course they should be worthy of CEU's.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Though I regretted to see that first part , I agree with the second. There are many smart people throughout our field just as there are numbskulls and I can't say that one association will necessarily will make one a better inspector than another association. Especially if an inspector didn't have the drive to excel in the first place.

As for slamming and demeaning remarks - I really don't see the upper tier inspectors involved with that. Just an observation on my part.
    Eric your first part contradicts the last part.
    Or does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    The one problem with the associations - they narrowly define what CEU's they think best for you.

In my opinion I know what I want to learn, and I believe if I want to take an accounting course or advertising course or first aid course they should be worthy of CEU's.
    Have not seen you on the other board lately Ray.
    Did they snuff you again?

Ray, there are three problems with most associations and continuing education.

Most associations still don't offer much variety when it comes to courses.
    Most associations still don't have their courses state/province approved.
    Most associations still charge for continuing education.

Inspection associations need to start following InterNACHI's lead and offer many different inspection courses that are state/province approved and offer them for free.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Inspection associations need to start following InterNACHI's lead and offer many different inspection courses that are state/province approved and offer them for free.
    Just to correct you Lisa the course is free but here in Illinois we still need them proctored.

The local proctor however is good about meeting and fee is usually a low amount such as $25.

Most physical location instructor courses here at NACHI Chicago are reasonable at $50-$75.
    That is one big selling point on its own.

Our courses are not everyone passes either.

ASHI local did give me a good idea for the chapter however as The president of our local is right now arranging for us guys to do an onsite report comparison at a property one of the members is working on and it should occur sometime mid September on a Saturday.

Personally if up to me I would invite all Licensed Inspectors to attend and will see what I can do.
    This will be a first for our humble chapter and I am looking forward to it.

Have not seen you on the other board lately Ray.
    Did they snuff you again?
    What board is that Bob?

Lisa,

Don't fall off your stool, but I agree with you!

What board is that Bob?
    NACHI,you were back on several months ago and then not.

I am posting under the Canadian section on the open side. Have posted several times over the last couple of days.

I am posting under the Canadian section on the open side. Have posted several times over the last couple of days.
    OK missed it then.
    To busy arguing over those dumb drain plugs.