Default Main Electrical Servrice

Can anyone help me with what "code" this may voilate, if any.
    The main triplex service feed wires run to the peak of the front of this home, then splice into standard sheathed wire (all wire is proper), then after the splice, runs into an inaccessable "attic type" area, then out of the soffit in the front of the home and down to the meter.
    I know the electric company does not like / allow the service feed to be unseen, but is this in violation of any codes? See photo.

Thanks for your help!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Main Electrical Servrice

The NEC requires the unfused conductors inside the house to have overcurrent protection in accordance with Article 230.

Here is the 2011 requirements.

(A) Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed
    in accordance with 230.70(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3).
    (1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting
    means shall be installed at a readily accessible location
    either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the
    point of entrance of the service conductors.

The conductors are considered inside once they pierce the building envelope. In your case this would be the eave or soffit. The install as shown is not in compliance.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Main Electrical Servrice

I run into lot's of older houses with a meter on the outside and metal conduit run in the attic from the meter to a panel inside the house. This was allowed when the house was built so it is grandfathered even though it does not meet the current code. In your case it sounds like you have newer cable run with no conduit so I doubt this would be grandfathered.