Jeff Beck Guest

Default Column top plate

New construction inspection today in a township that I'm not familiar with the AHJ.
    Top plate has only two bolts and no welds (that I could see). Would you report this as an inproper support?
    Thanks,

Jeff Beck

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jeff Beck; 08-10-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Column top plate

Without checking the approved plans and/or spec sheet there's no way to tell.
    Basically I see nothing wrong with a pair of bolts, but like I said, only the PE who drew that detail would know. Describe, disclaim and defer when in doubt.
    Your a generalist.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Much of the time I find the bolts loose but never have a I seen a problem as a result. I tend to ignore it.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Richard Rushing Guest

Jeff, that 'I'-beam will hold up a hurd of Bull-Elephants (figuratively).

With that said, take the words of Jerry Mc. as being right-on target. There is absolutely no-way of telling what the engineered design of this support required in the way of anchoring. If you found something in the way the anchoring was done that causes you concern, by all means.... identify those concerns and document what you found and why you believe they are of concern.

TIM LEMPE Guest

I've been in structural steel for 30 years, thats a pretty typical connection

Jon Randolph Guest

Question for the more experienced:

Would there be an issue with lateral movement in that column? The end of the I-beam doesn't terminate in a pocket in the foundation and the beam doesn't appear to be attached to the floor joists at all. I don't like it when the only thing stabilizing the assembly and preventing movement is the weight that it is supporting. I know that there is a-lot of weight on top of this and it would be hard to do (unless this is in a garage), but I can visualize a side impact to the post bringing down the house.

TIM LEMPE Guest

I'm curious about the footing, or is the column just sitting on the slab

TIM LEMPE Guest

After looking at the picture a little closer it appears the column cap plate is not the same width as the beam flange which is a requirment

Speaking of columns, these two had me doing a double take this morning, side clearances were about the same in both parking stalls...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Nick Servin Guest

As an engineer myself, I would defer to a structural engineer. There is not enough information here to make a determination. For one, the beam is off center, no stiffner (could be required, or not).