Default Egress window in bedroom closet

I inspected a home today that was renovated.
    A portion of the attic was a "bedroom." The window was 12"x8"

To get to the "egress window," you have to leave the room and walk 10 feet through the unfinished portion of the attic.

Seller says it meets code... I say it does not.

I can't find any exceptions to the requirement that the egress window be IN THE ROOM.
    Can any one help

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Egress window in bedroom closet

If you must "leave the room" then the EERO is not in the bedroom as required.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

That window is too small anyways, so forget what Numbnuts says about it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Yes I know that the window in the room is too small.... I should have made that clear.

It's the window in the unfinished portion of the attic that the seller says is compliant, and I said it is not.

The window in the unfinished portion of the attic is big enough to drive a VW beetle through.

Phil, as already stated the window is not in the so called sleeping room, aka "bedroom" and even if it was it doesn't qualify as an approved egress window due to being grossly undersized.
    IRC Emergency Escape & Rescue 310.1.

When ever I found those listing agent little yellow sticky notes on an entry door to a undersized, low ceiling, no source of permanent heat with inadquate emergency escape and rescue access that said, "May be used as a 4th bedroom" my inspection report stated, "The room located at ______ was inspected as a bonus room and not a sleeping room (bedroom) as it does not meet current construction industry standards and using it as a sleeping room will result in a high health risk potential for occupants using that room as a bedroom.

Jerry P would probably call it "Fry Room #1."

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Tell him to take out the wall and finish the other 10 feet of attic, and he's good to go.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Houck View Post
    I can't find any exceptions to the requirement that the egress window be IN THE ROOM.
    That is because there ... isn't any.

The seller could also call that room a "rocket ship", but just because the seller says it is does not make it so.

I always called rooms like that Fry Room 1, Fry Room 2, etc., and explained to my client that I call them that because if there is a fire ... there ain't no way the occupant is getting out alive, the firefighters will find a fried body in that room after the fire is out.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thank you Jim for the best solution. I spoke the the buyer today and they also like the solution.