Default historical house being moved

I've been contacted by the local historical society to inspect a home they are planning on moving. Both pre move and post move. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: historical house being moved

My question would be are they looking for a structural analysis to evaluate the integrity of the home prior to the move or a "simple" home inspection? I'd want to be very sure of what their expectations were of me before I'd took that job. What if there was some sort of "failure" during the move? How would you deal with that phone call? If you have E&O what's their take?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Eric,
    They are looking for a structural analysis prior to the move and a home inspection after the move. I've sent an email to my insurance co., waiting for a reply.

Stanley

Tell us more...age, woodframe, post and beam, brick and mortar...basement, foundation?

How about some pics?

Quote Originally Posted by stanley frost View Post
    They are looking for a structural analysis prior to the move and a home inspection after the move.

If you're qualified to perform said "structural analysis" then price it based on the time you anticipate being on site (longer than you probably think, when you factor in the second trip and possibly consulting during the move). If you're not qualified to render this opinion, regardless of the circumstance, then pass it on.

Sounds libelous, especially given the "historical" status.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    If you're qualified to perform said "structural analysis" then price it based on the time you anticipate being on site (longer than you probably think, when you factor in the second trip and possibly consulting during the move). If you're not qualified to render this opinion, regardless of the circumstance, then pass it on.

Sounds libelous, especially given the "historical" status.

Dom.
    I agree with Dom.

In South Florida years ago they moved a historical coral rock house, wrapped the house up like it was glass and was going to be shipped by jeep through the mountains on goat trails, but when they got to where they were moving it (a few blocks away) and unwrapped the house, it ended up as a large pile of coral rocks!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I think a pictoral essay of all the rooms, floors, ceilings, in the home with details of any existing defects as well as lettering each wall to identify in the before and after pics.
    If they need to know whether it is strong enough to transport, you would need an SE to stamp it.
    The moving company would, should know this also as the liability is on them.
    I would want to be there before, during and after the house is set back on foundation to document any things that may occur during moving.
    Should work out top a few days work at whatever your hourly is.
    And all you do is take pictures and report what you see. Same as usual.

This is a pier and beam house with plenty of room in the crawl space. It's wood frame and appears to be original built in the 1880's. just going across the street. i havn't had a good look yet. Drove by the other day, I'll put up some pictures when I get access.

The chimney and fireplace if it has one will be a challenge for the movers. But there are people who are highly skilled at that kind of thing. They will know how to support the masonry, or else they are in over their heads.
    They will need to pull off the skirting or siding below the first floor, and then slide two (or more) long I-beams under the house. Once it is sitting on dolleys, they can put it anywhere.
    I had a house last year that was raised, turned 90 degrees, and set back down on a full basement. I just recently inspected a 100 yr old 2 1/2 storey frame house that was brought in by barge, pulled up the beach, and delivered to the lot, no problem.

Recycled homes for sale, check it out. House Moving & Building Movers & Structural Movers-Nickel Bros House Moving

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Defer structural analysis to one licensed and qualified to perform same, especially disciplined and experienced, considering both the "historical" characterization and planed move/relocation of the structure.

FYI, you might peruse and consider

International Association of Structural Movers

I completely agree with Mr. Watson.

I am involved in a little building here in SLC that was preserved by the Historical Society. In order to preserve the building it had to be lifted off from its foundation, turned 180°, then moved down the street about a block.

The building is four stories with unreinforced multiple layer masonry that was about 2 feet thick at the base. In order to move it the structural guys called for three interior shear walls, two reinforced stair towers, an elevator shaft and loads of interior cable bracing.

No way, no how would I ever suggest that you do a structural evaluation if that is what they want to call it. If they ask for a general look around go for it, but once it is labeled structural, you are out of your element.

Good luck! Let us know what happens. Intriguing post.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Rod Butler; 09-27-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Butler View Post
    I completely agree with Mr. Watson.

I am involved in a little building here in SLC that was preserved by the Historical Society. In order to preserve the building it had to be lifted off from its foundation, turned 180°, then moved down the street about a block.

The building was four stories with unreinforced multiple layer masonry that was about 2 feet thick at the base. In order to move it the structural guys called for three interior shear walls, two reinforced stair towers, an elevator shaft and loads of interior cable bracing.

No way, no how would I ever suggest that you do a structural evaluation if that is what they want to call it. If they ask for a general look around go for it, but once it is labeled structural, you are out of your element.

Good luck! Let us know what happens. Intriguing post.
    And they could have built one looking exactly like it for the same or less money then the massive engineering expense, the huge construction cost to add all to make it saound to move it, the huge cost to move it, the huge cost to put it all back together and judging by the little interior I saw in the picture a complete rehab of the interior.

I did remodels and rehabs for years with the clients wanting even the smallest piece of old plaster saved and the last piece of trim getting 20 layers of paint off of it. repair floors where 2/3rds of the flooring was destroyed from rot and such and then try to match in new heart pine or even (very expensive) reclaimed heart pie. tAll at a huge expense. I could have and have gutted buildings completely, matched everything that was there inside and out and had basically a brand new home that would last another 100 years for far less money looking like it did (and much better) than 100 years ago.

Never was into that historic preservation deal. A huge waste of time and money

Just my opinion. Did it for too long and saw so much massive waste, for the exact same look and new.

[quote=Ted Menelly;178656]And they could have built one looking exactly like it for the same or less money then the massive engineering expense, the huge construction cost to add all to make it saound to move it, the huge cost to move it, the huge cost to put it all back together and judging by the little interior I saw in the picture a complete rehab of the interior.

. . . . quote]

I understand what you are saying Ted but there is a certain group that like to see heritage preserved. It's not all about looking like the building, it's that the building IS. In other words this isn't a building that looks 120 years old, it IS a 120 year old building. Around these parts that's pretty old. Not much by European standards or even East Coast standards but out west we take what we can get.

That being said, rumor has it that the cost to the Historical Society just over $6 million to move the building. The first auction after the move brought in around $350,000 for the building. I think it ultimately sold for a little over a million bucks.

Ted Menelly Guest

[QUOTE=Rod Butler;178718]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    And they could have built one looking exactly like it for the same or less money then the massive engineering expense, the huge construction cost to add all to make it saound to move it, the huge cost to move it, the huge cost to put it all back together and judging by the little interior I saw in the picture a complete rehab of the interior.

. . . . quote]

I understand what you are saying Ted but there is a certain group that like to see heritage preserved. It's not all about looking like the building, it's that the building IS. In other words this isn't a building that looks 120 years old, it IS a 120 year old building. Around these parts that's pretty old. Not much by European standards or even East Coast standards but out west we take what we can get.

That being said, rumor has it that the cost to the Historical Society just over $6 million to move the building. The first auction after the move brought in around $350,000 for the building. I think it ultimately sold for a little over a million bucks.
    Absokutely shameful. I have seen more waste in my lifetime to support small populations of people.

120 years ...... Time for the trash pile. For 6,000,000 they could have built a town center with multiple buildings.

Forget all that. Just have them throw the money this way if they want to throw it away. I'll take it.

Shall we tell the NPS to flatten the Washington Monument since it has experienced quake damage after having been shut down and rennovated a mere six years ago? Shall we tear down the Statue of Liberty since it again requires major rennovations after just having gone through a decade long restoration and rennovations about a decade ago? Lets forget about maintaining the Alamo, what a waste of tax dollars!?! Don't bother to restore or properly repair an antique, preserve art, someone can paint, print, or build using engineered materials and CNC controls - forget hand tools, or craftmanship! Shall you be denied a knee replacement, a pacemaker, advanced medical procedures, medicines, chemotherapy, longterm rehabilitation, because the insurance pool funds or our tax dollars are more cost-effiectively spent on preventitive medicine and proper nutrition of the multitude heathier, younger, and "newer models" born every day? Seems "newer is better" and "throw away" mentality might have some exceptions, even for you.

Historical preservation has its own merit, that value being obviously in those who make the decisions to preserve and protect; your rants Ted are far afield of the original topic discussion.

Structures are moved all the time, including lifting and resetting on foundation corrections.

Enough said, on this throw-away OT drift.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Shall we tell the NPS to flatten the Washington Monument since it has experienced quake damage after having been shut down and rennovated a mere six years ago? Shall we tear down the Statue of Liberty since it again requires major rennovations after just having gone through a decade long restoration and rennovations about a decade ago? Lets forget about maintaining the Alamo, what a waste of tax dollars!?! Don't bother to restore or properly repair an antique, preserve art, someone can paint, print, or build using engineered materials and CNC controls - forget hand tools, or craftmanship! Shall you be denied a knee replacement, a pacemaker, advanced medical procedures, medicines, chemotherapy, longterm rehabilitation, because the insurance pool funds or our tax dollars are more cost-effiectively spent on preventitive medicine and proper nutrition of the multitude heathier, younger, and "newer models" born every day? Seems "newer is better" and "throw away" mentality might have some exceptions, even for you.

Historical preservation has its own merit, that value being obviously in those who make the decisions to preserve and protect; your rants Ted are far afield of the original topic discussion.

Structures are moved all the time, including lifting and resetting on foundation corrections.

Enough said, on this throw-away OT drift.
    Historical preservation my but. Half the time they go over these old structures there is not much of the original left and half the time it looks like a repaired POS.

Just because you don't find it wasteful and enjoy seeing countless billions thrown away every year o ugly little buildings in Utah, Georgia where ever, it does not mean everyone else is suppose to think it is OK.

As far as thread drift? The thread is about moving a building and added to by another gentlemen about a building moved in Utah.

Different building, so what. Different type of building, So what. They are not the Statue of Liberty. They are not the GWM.

As far as a rant? Yours was longer than mine complaining about someone elses opinion. I stated mine. You stated yours .....all done.

Oh, the antique POS furniture that you better not sit in or God forbid eat dinner at because you paid ten times what it is worth and you might damage it? Good luck to you. I would rather have an identical detail for detail piece that is going to be better built and last a couple hundred years instead of 50.

To each his own Mr W. My opinion about the original thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Build a new one. It will cost less and last longer and you can put a commemorative plaque in front of it "Designed to be a perfect replica in looks as .........." Someone wants to throw good money after bad? Like I said. I'll take it! I will put it to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by stanley frost View Post
    Eric,
    They are looking for a structural analysis prior to the move and a home inspection after the move. I've sent an email to my insurance co., waiting for a reply.
    HI's are not licensed to perform structural analysis in Texas.