Eric Faber Guest

Default 120V 30 Amp outlet converted to 220V

I currently have an outlet the was installed by PO of my house. The outlet is the large 3 prong 120v/30amp. I am wondering if it is possible to convert upgrade this outlet to 3 or 4 prong 220-240v/60amp outlet. The current wiring is 3/12. The wiring is easily replaceable with larger gauge if needed.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Tony Cole Guest

Default Re: 120V 30 Amp outlet converted to 220V

There are a couple of problems here. First a 3/12(wg) is for 20 amp 120-240V outlets, such as for something like a ceiling fan with a light switch. the outlet doesn't match the conductor now. Is the breaker a 20 amp or 30? If you want to convert this to a 60 amp outlet, you need to replace the conductor with one suitible for 60 amps, along with a proper receptacle, such as a 14-60R.

Eric Faber Guest

Tony

I will have to check when I get home but I thought it was a 30, could easily be wrong with that. I only thought 30 because PO had a camper and it more than likely use that outlet for the camper. I was planning on replacing the outlet and breaker.

Tony Cole Guest

Replace the entire setup for a 60 amp receptacle, conductors included.

Eric Faber Guest

Another quick question for that circuit. My welder requires a 220v/60amp circuit. I have other equipment 220v/30amp I believe. Does only having that 60 amp circuit pose a safety issue?

I hope you understand what I am getting at.

Eric

Tony Cole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Faber View Post
    Another quick question for that circuit. My welder requires a 220v/60amp circuit. I have other equipment 220v/30amp I believe. Does only having that 60 amp circuit pose a safety issue?

I hope you understand what I am getting at.

Eric
    I do, but the 60 amp circuit can only be used for the equipment it is designed for. A 30 amp plug will not, nor should it, fit into a 60 amp receptacle. You should run another circuit for the 30 amp equipment.

James Duffin Guest

If the 60 amp circuit is wired correctly the 30 amp plug will not plug into it so there will be no safety concern.

Tony Cole Guest

here is something to look at for configurations.
    NEMA Plug & Receptacle Configurations Reference Chart (Straight Blade)

Eric Faber Guest

I completely spaced out the electrical connector part. Thanks for all your advice.

Eric