Default 1/2 azz step flashing

I know there should be a piece of flashing visible under each course. What exactly did he roofer do wrong to not get this right? How common is this error?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: 1/2 azz step flashing

another pic

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

The pictures are dark, so I can't tell for certain, but it looks like the flashing is wrong. Too short.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    The pictures are dark, so I can't tell for certain, but it looks like the flashing is wrong. Too short.
    Sorry about the poorly lighted pictures. It's not too short from a horizontal standpoint. The problem is it's completely lacking at every other course. The first pic shows evidence of flashing at one course, the second shows none at the next course.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Sorry about the poorly lighted pictures. It's not too short from a horizontal standpoint. The problem is it's completely lacking at every other course. The first pic shows evidence of flashing at one course, the second shows none at the next course.
    You have the answer, so what is your question?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    You have the answer, so what is your question?
    I can identify the deficiency. I was looking for a descriptive explanation of what they did wrong in the process of installation.

Having never been a roofer by trade, I don't want to botch an explanation is a client should ask.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I can identify the deficiency. I was looking for a descriptive explanation of what they did wrong in the process of installation.

Having never been a roofer by trade, I don't want to botch an explanation is a client should ask.
    Water damage (picture #???) caused by improper roof flashing.
    Have roofer repair as needed.

John, I see more & more skilled work being performed by unskilled labor. It's cheap. Just out of curiosity, how old is the roof or house? Since you are in Maryland, what's the probability that the job was done by a crew that had just one guy who could speak English? I've become disgusted and flat out report that the work was done improperly by unskilled labor. If someone doesn't like it, prove me wrong.

Except for few builders, home building has gone to he'll by the way of bottom priced piece work and labor whose greatest claim to fame is a one room shack with a dirt floor. Hey guys! We're building 500K homes here. Not a shack in a third world country. I don't care if he's your uncle or nephew.

Okay, venting over

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

John, if the flashing material for the step flashings is fairly long, it will span more than one exposure, therefore two rows before another step flashing is needed. That explains a visible flashing every other row.
    As long as each flashing overlaps the last by a couple of inches, this does not as a rule lead to a leak.

Nailing thru the flashing will lead to a leak. That is probably what the goof did, nailed the second row thru the flashing.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca