Thread: Simson HUCQ

Doug Lessa Guest

Default Simson HUCQ

Can anyone out there tell me if a Simpson HUCQ hidden joist hanger is approved for stair stringer installation. The stair stringer was notched so the HUCQ could recive it so I would think not. I would appreciate any feed back.

OREP Insurance

Daniel Mosier Guest

Post Re: Simpson HUCQ

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lessa View Post
    Can anyone out there tell me if a Simpson HUCQ hidden joist hanger is approved for stair stringer installation. The stair stringer was notched so the HUCQ could recive it so I would think not. I would appreciate any feed back.
    What may be acceptable in one locale may not be acceptable in another. Check with your local codes office and be sure to mention the modification.

Default Re: Simson HUCQ

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lessa View Post
    Hello Doug,

Although not specifically made for that purpose we do see it used here as well. The AHJ has not disapproved its use. Simpson does manufacture the LSC for stringer attachment but it is not often seen. The HUCQ is a very heavy duty hangar suited for the potential loads a stair could incur.

Obviously it will be the AHJ call but part would most likely be using the notching limitations of IRC R502.8 and/or any specific CA requirements. You might also ask to see, or advise the client to check, any engineered plans for the home. It is possible the Engineer specified its use in that manner.

It is worth giving Simpson Strong-Tie a call as they are very helpful with answering any technical questions in regards to their products.

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!
    www.psinspection.com
    Texas License# 7593

Default Re: Simson HUCQ

You need to calculate the load on that stringer and then check the Simpson catalog table to see if it can carry the calculated load.