Default Vent gap inside bucket

Whats the maximum gap allowed inside the ceiling bucket for a gas appliance such as a water heater? BTW, this bucket is in a garage ceiling fire sep wall. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Mike Denny Guest

Default Re: Vent gap inside bucket

A vent connector cannot pass through a partition, wall, ceiling or floor.

Hmmm, well, there is an image of the bucket in my citys water heater installation detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Denny View Post
    Hunh? So how would you vent the appliance? It has to go through something.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Whats the maximum gap allowed inside the ceiling bucket for a gas appliance such as a water heater? BTW, this bucket is in a garage ceiling fire sep wall. Thanks
    Marc,

Help me out..."bucket"? Is that suspended concrete above? still wrong.

Firestop and support must match the size of the b-vent and be compatible with the system.

Looks as though some DIYer has run down to the friendly neighborhood Ace Hardware and replaced the B-Vent through the ceiling with 3" B-Vent (Note lower offset's label "AMERI-VENT...3E4..." where there had been a 4", 5" or larger venting system.

What was the rating for the equipment in place? I know of no listed lining system permited to use in existing b-vent system componants so as to reduce size. Neither air space clearances nor support to maintain appear evident in your photo, no listed firestop support for the 3E4 vent at the vent-ceiling.

There are proper expanding fittings for a size increase and this should have been done below.

The ceiling collar and the 3" section of bvent has likewise been painted, also wrong.

The firestop should have no gap it also serves to SUPPORT the vertical base of the vent.

Neither of the 3" offsets have been supported, the lower offset has not been locked into the uppser offset,

The proper transition from the draft hood to 4" should have been made at the water heater.

Guessing either the water heater was replaced DIY and/or the furnace is also in the garage and it was replaced and now uses another form of ventiing orphaning the water heater.

No gap, fireblock/support should be the correct size.

Vent is not properly supported or fireblocked - has shifted also to left and back air space clearance contact questionable.

I read label at lower offset AMERI-VENT...3E4..
    Manufacturer's instructions, must be installed as a system,
    Gas vents shall be installed in accordance with the terms of their listings and the manufacturer’s instructions

All portions of vents shall be adequately supported for the design and weight of the materials employed

Vent systems shall be sized, installed and terminated in accordance with the vent and appliance manufacturer’s installation instructions and Section

Where vents pass through insulated assemblies, an insulation shield constructed of not less than 26 gage sheet (0.016 inch) (0.4 mm) metal shall be installed to provide clearance between the vent and the insulation material. The clearance shall not be less than the clearance to combustibles specified by the vent manufacturer’s installation instructions. Where vents pass through attic space, the shield shall terminate not less than 2 inches (51 mm) above the insulation materials and shall be secured in place to prevent displacement. Insulation shields provided as part of a listed vent system shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions

All vents...shall be listed and labeled. Type B and BW vents shall be tested in accordance with UL 441. Type L vents shall be tested in accordance with UL 641...

Noncombustible firestopping or fireblocking shall be provided in accordance with...

At least that's based on what I think I'm seeing.

Off the cuff and on the fly, heading off for post fasting lab draws and a day of "hurry up and wait" quickly throwing at you to find what you need in the UL Standard/Listing Compliant SYSTEM instructions, and the requirements for existing venting when equipment is removed, replaced, etc. seems to have been ignored.
    The venting system componants also should not have been painted.

The entirety could possibly be called into quesiton and perhaps should be fully inspected for deterioration, questionable sizing, incorrect assembly, failure to support offsets, etc., and remediated accordingly. -- IS this a condo garage space to a common venting system?

HTH.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-07-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Denny
    Mostly true, but irrelevant to the OP, since only vent is pictured, no vent connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Hunh? So how would you vent the appliance? It has to go through something.
    You use a listed vent or chimney system, such the vent pictured (although not correct)

There is no vent connector pictured, only vent.