Default Hello from Ottawa , Ontario

I just finished my college courses for home inspection and very excited about getting my feet wet. Any advice would be appreciated on where to begin.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Stephen G Guest

Default Re: Hello from Ottawa , Ontario

Welcome from Petawawa Ontario.

My only advice is to read everything written here and keep learning. HI is not just a job. Its life changing. Just ask all my friends that dont invite me back to their place, lol. You gotta stopping working when entering friends home, if you can.

Good luck in your new career.

Steve

True North Home Inspection
    Upper Ottawa Valley

Welcome to the profession.
    Choose your home inspection association carefully!

Any advice would be appreciated on where to begin.
    Inspection Business Success Strategies - InterNACHI

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Hello Cathy - my suggestion, get out and do some mentoring (fieldwork under supervision) with an experienced inspector or two in your area - if at all possible.

Don't be surprised if some reneg on the idea. There's the perception of some against training their competition. Perhaps even consider contacting home inspectors outside of the immediate Ottawa area. But by far, put all that academic education to use by acquiring some real on the job experience.

There even may be a company possibly looking at hiring a person like you, to build up their business. Some inspectors do this to grow their business.

On the matter of associations/memberships, like Raymond pointed out - choose your association carefully, but better yet, avoid them until you get to "really" understand the one or ones best suited to you. In fact over 50% of home inspectors do not belong to any association. So I see no urgent rush!

NHICC Chair

Last edited by Claude Lawrenson; 10-14-2011 at 06:19 AM. Reason: mentor

Good luck on your new career! As far, as getting your feet wet, You could start off on your report as.... It was observed that water was up to my ankles when I stepped off the bottom stair tread in the basement.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Anderson View Post
    I just finished my college courses for home inspection and very excited about getting my feet wet. Any advice would be appreciated on where to begin.
    If your feet are wet, don't begin by checking the Electrical panel

This is a great place to learn new things and I have found that I learn new things on every inspection as well. Just keep learning!

In fact over 50% of home inspectors do not belong to any association. So I see no urgent rush!
    I disagree. To purchase all the education, marketing programs, business success tools and benefits separately would cost you $50,000.00 or more. It's a no-brainer. Each second counts and each dollar counts in this current economic condition.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Stephen G Guest

You may need an association to get insurance. Claude has been doing inspections for so long he is his own association and they stopped asking him...
    Call Kim @ HUB International Insurance. She will steer you in the right direction in this regard.

Mary Ann Chiquete Guest

Hi Cathy, Two years ago I stood where you are now. I started my own business here in Arizona during the great recession when everyone was telling me that I couldn't. The first year was slow, second year has been good. I joined a networking group in my area (Christian Business Networking) and met a great Realtor that has given me quite a bit of work. I hand out business cards to everyone and anyone. I offer discounts to new Realtors for trying me, and once they use me they continue to use me. I am passionate about what I do and I learn something new everyday. Customer service is a BIG part of my business, I tell my clients, "Helping you is the most important thing I have to do today". Join NACHI, they have a wealth of online education and a great message board with lots of information. Just look past the "Good ole' boys" and their sexist comments. We are in a man's world, but women make the best home inspectors! Good luck and feel free to contact me.

Join InterNACHI, they have a wealth of online education and a great message board with lots of information. Just look past the "Good ole' boys" and their sexist comments. We are in a man's world, but women make the best home inspectors!
    We sure are and we sure do!

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI