Default Is this a Smoke or Carbon Monoxide Detector

I need help indentifying the device in the attached picture. I assume it is either a smoke or carbon detector but could't tell. The house was built in 1974 and there was only one other detector (obviously a smoke)installed in the hallway along with this one. Other than "do not paint" there were no markings I could see on this one. I tried to twist the cover off with light pressure, but no going. There was a propane fired log set installed in the living room. The house had no security system installed.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Is this a Smoke or Carbon Monoxide Detector

It is a UFO.

Go back, make sure it is de-energized in case it is line voltage(120v), and get the darn thing down. Try putting slight upward pressure on the device as you twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    I need help indentifying the device in the attached picture. I assume it is either a smoke or carbon detector but could't tell. The house was built in 1974 and there was only one other detector (obviously a smoke)installed in the hallway along with this one. Other than "do not paint" there were no markings I could see on this one. I tried to twist the cover off with light pressure, but no going. There was a propane fired log set installed in the living room. The house had no security system installed.

Thanks.
    I do not recognize it so I can't say for sure.

All smoke and CO detectors that I am familiar with have an LED indicator.
    I do not see that on this one.
    Heat detectors do not have LED indicators.
    So I think it's a heat detector.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Thanks.
    It resembles a heat detector. But, I have never seem one with a white cap. The ones I am used to seeing have a silver "button" similar to gold/white one in your photo.

Is is much smaller than the average sized somke/co detector?.

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 10-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Wow. Great catch!

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Thank you for all the replies ...

Rick ... I owe you one for making go from not knowing anything to looking like a genius.

The article says it may be a heat detector, then it shows a pic of the UFO agin. I don't get it. Did it fly from there?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Thank you for all the replies ...

Rick ... I owe you one for making go from not knowing anything to looking like a genius.
    Glad I could help