Default what kind of poop

What kind of animal poop does this look like? It was found in the insulation of crawlspace near the sill plate. It's about 1/8 inch in diameter.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: what kind of poop

Probably a rat, or it's close cousin.

What does it taste like?

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    What does it taste like?
    Unable to decern flavor. Nostrils too packed with fungus/mold spores.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Just say rodent or critter when you report it.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Just say rodent or critter when you report it.
    Thats what I do when I don't know for sure. ...rodent...animal...pest... hire the pro and have 'em deal with it.

Yes, I've actually used this more than once.

=============
    There's animal poop on the insulation in the crawl space. I'm not an animal poop expert so I don't know what kind of rodent it is. Consult a licensed pest control operator and take action as you and he agree would be best.
    =============

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

John, if it looks like something a cat would drop, but with no attempt to bury it, my guess is racoon kaka. They will sometimes select one general area if they plan to stay a while.

For the record, squirrels drop a small round pellet.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I can't believe no one has identified the 'droppings' correctly. Your 2nd photo of the water logged girder was the the clue needed. Fish poop. The fish pooped, the water level receded, end of story. The real estate agent should have listed the property as 'indoor seasonal pool.'
    From your 2 pics, I'd say it looks like that house is in pretty crappy condition.
    Curt Downs
    Licensed HIC
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Downs View Post
    I can't believe no one has identified the 'droppings' correctly. Your 2nd photo of the water logged girder was the the clue needed. Fish poop. The fish pooped, the water level receded, end of story. The real estate agent should have listed the property as 'indoor seasonal pool.'
    From your 2 pics, I'd say it looks like that house is in pretty crappy condition.
    Curt Downs
    Licensed HIC
    CT
    The wet crawl and affected structural components are the result of poor site grading. This includes a ground level deck that blocks access for the ability to solve the problem. Oh yeah, gutters jam packed with leaves too. It's amazing how simple stuff is often neglected resulting in much bigger problems.

Well… I don’t know nuthin’ bout poop, but that’s some nasty dry-rot or cellar rot you’ve got on those joists!

Cheers!
    CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

that's inspector poop, i was craweling around there last week

Looks like bat doody..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stichter View Post
    Looks like bat doody..
    Giant fruit bats, maybe, but they don't frequent crawlspaces, do they? The bat guano I'm familiar with looks granular, crushed insect ecto skeletons.

I tell you it's from a young coon or a skunk, maybe. We don't have skunks or possums here, so that's a guess.

www.allsafehome.ca

My guess is it's reptilian or amphibian. Toad, frog, salamander, snake.
    The white and dark indicates an animal that that excretes urine and feces together, bird or amphibian / reptile. I guess birds aren't too likely in a crawl.
    Anyway, that's probably the least of their problems!

Strangely enough, I have found bats in a crawl space before.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Being that the droppings are pointed on the end, I would say it is what is known as a roof rat. If the droppings are blunt ended that would be a indicator of a Norway rat.

rick

Rick,
    Is one of the locally trusted authorities when it comes to poop

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Barry, I don't think Rick is going to give out his address on that one cause he don't wanna get a lot of poop in the mail. lol...

[QUOTE=John Kogel;179502]John, if it looks like something a cat would drop, but with no attempt to bury it, my guess is racoon kaka. They will sometimes select one general area if they plan to stay a while.

For the record, squirrels drop a small round pellet.[/QUOTE

Raccoon crap is almost as big as a turd from a medium sized dog. No self-respecting raccoon would drop something so small!

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

When the client asks, "is it fresh?" I tell them to have the re-litter crunch a little between his/her teeth. If it's 'al dente' then it's old!

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Bats.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    What does it taste like?
    Too Funny ! Now I'm convinced your last name was assigned by mental health care pros, as a derivation of Tourette Syndrome. Reading this thread I've decided the profession needs some polish in referencing what living creatures leave behind. As evidence, I submit poop, Kaka, droppings, Doody and more. In my bug man training I was taught frass was what insects leave, bigger mammals at least usually are referenced with scat andocaisionally dung and I'm assuming that can be stretched to smaller mammals. Last; when an H.I. is posting, it is premised by the word Bull

Quote Originally Posted by John Ghent View Post
    Bats.
    Be careful to say "Bats". I know of someone that discovered bats in his attic (not in his belfry) and somehow, in his efforts to get them removed, the state and federal government got involved. It ended up with he couldn't get rid of them because of federal laws---if one died the best thing he could do was secretly get rid of it, or possible face a federal fine (read that big bucks) if they found it during an inspection. His home is on some kind of a federal register now, and someone comes around every so often to check on the bats. They told him the brood flies to a specific location in VA to winter, and comes back to summer at his house!

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    Too Funny ! Now I'm convinced your last name was assigned by mental health care pros, as a derivation of Tourette Syndrome. Reading this thread I've decided the profession needs some polish in referencing what living creatures leave behind. As evidence, I submit poop, Kaka, droppings, Doody and more. In my bug man training I was taught frass was what insects leave, bigger mammals at least usually are referenced with scat andocaisionally dung and I'm assuming that can be stretched to smaller mammals. Last; when an H.I. is posting, it is premised by the word Bull
    You may be right, I may be crazy...

When you are in the field testing procedures are limited, but important nevertheless. The information one can derive from identifying feces can save lives. See photo.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    What kind of animal poop does this look like? It was found in the insulation of crawlspace near the sill plate. It's about 1/8 inch in diameter.
    It was a healthy mouse John. Rat droppings are bigger and you'd know if it was rats cause you'd have floor insulation hanging down all over the place from them trying to walk on top of it under the subfloor. Checkout this lovely crawl I was in last week -

Garry Blankenship Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    It was a healthy mouse John. Rat droppings are bigger and you'd know if it was rats cause you'd have floor insulation hanging down all over the place from them trying to walk on top of it under the subfloor. Checkout this lovely crawl I was in last week -
    Wow Whatever the fee, it was a bargin.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    Wow Whatever the fee, it was a bargin.
    LOL Garry. I terminated the inspection in the crawlspace, it got worse the farther north I went, told the buyer I went farther than I normally do, but pulled the plug when I could no longer see the vapor barrier. 95% of the time I tell people that if I can't see 25-30ft in all directions, they need to call Clean-Crawls.com, then have me come back for an additional fee.

Snake feces.

Nice one, Jim. I can smell it from here.
    PS, how was the Chantrelle mushroom? Tasty?

www.allsafehome.ca