Default Horizontal Tail pipe?

Some one added a dishwasher to a '75 townhome. Of course the dishwasher drain hose did not have a high loop. The part that has me scratching my head is the use of a tailpipe in a horizontal orientation.

Yeah, Tailpipes are usually installed vertically but is just "poor form" or is there some actual problem with mounting a tailpiece horizontally? Another $10 bucks in parts and this could be corrected but does it really make any difference?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Default Re: Horizontal Tail pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Some one added a dishwasher to a '75 townhome. Of course the dishwasher drain hose did not have a high loop. The part that has me scratching my head is the use of a tailpipe in a horizontal orientation.

Yeah, Tailpipes are usually installed vertically but is just "poor form" or is there some actual problem with mounting a tailpiece horizontally? Another $10 bucks in parts and this could be corrected but does it really make any difference?
    Hi Bruce,

Whenever I see this type of configuration, water from the disposal will push back up into the adjacent sink. I write it up. It has been a long time since I looked at the installation instructions for a disposal, but I would suspect that the tailpiece is to be installed vertically, as you have already stated.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I don't have a problem with the horizontal pipe connecting the 2 sinks. The problem is without a high loop (or built in vacuum breaker); the sink/disposal waste will end up in the dishwasher.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Call for a repair, replacing that sink drain tailpiece with glued ABS fittings. That thing will leak because the compression nut isn't straight on the pipe.

The DW drain hose should be clamped up in a high loop and the power cord should be protected from damage somehow.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Call for a repair, replacing that sink drain tailpiece with glued ABS fittings.
    Ditto

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Call for a repair, replacing that sink drain tailpiece with glued ABS fittings. That thing will leak because the compression nut isn't straight on the pipe.

The DW drain hose should be clamped up in a high loop and the power cord should be protected from damage somehow.
    Why glued ABS? Everything around here is PVC compression fittings. Once you glue it, you are stuck in that configuration. Makes it hard to upgrade.

Almost nobody uses ABS around here. Almost everything is PVC. ABS is only seen on properties from 1970-80's.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."