Gary Winfield Guest

Default Commercial Inspection

As a home inspector in the State of Tennessee I received a call to inspect a 15,000 sq.ft. church. Having passed the NHIE exam, is there additional training required in TN. to do commercial inspections? Also, how would u price this job? I'm thinking 10 to 12 cents a sq. ft.

Thanks, Gary

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Commercial Inspection

No idea what TN requirements are. Hopefully Scott P. will chime in.
    As far as cost, the price could be Ok, but sounds a bit low. It all depends.
    In any type of commercial inspection I always find out what the clients' goals are. Why are they getting an inspection, what information do they need, what are they hoping to find out, what are they looking to accomplish with the information.
    The best report on the planet doesn't mean squat if it doesn't provide the client with what they need.
    They need it for their insurance coverage, refi, reserve study, etc.?
    Will members be shadowing you, are they expecting a walk and talk or will you be doing the inspection essentially on your own with someone to guide you around? If a walk and talk you have to factor in the extra time. If they are looking for various detailed info, you should strongly consider talking another guy with to measure, count, document, etc.
    Hope that helps.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Gary,
    You may encounter systems which you may not be familiar with such as Three phase power or Chiller AC systems. Hiring an Electrician or AC tech can help with these areas. I thing you should also raise your rates on Commercial inspections.
    James

James Bohac

Gary Winfield Guest

Thanks for the input. I am still stuck on what the going rate is for this type inspection.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Winfield View Post
    Thanks for the input. I am still stuck on what the going rate is for this type inspection.

Gary
    It will vary between markets, and it will vary based on what, exactly, you're inspecting. Around here it's anywhere from $.08 - $.25 per square foot, with up-charges for a variety of features or services.

Dom.