Default Recallchek Reports

I've been using Recallchek for the last 6 weeks and have found 2 of the reports that were sent to my clients had improper information that caused them concern. Anybody else using recallchek had a similar problems? I'm starting to get concerned about Inspector liability for these reports. Any feedback on the recallchek program would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Recallchek Reports

Quote Originally Posted by John Shryock View Post
    I've been using Recallchek for the last 6 weeks and have found 2 of the reports that were sent to my clients had improper information that caused them concern. Anybody else using recallchek had a similar problems? I'm starting to get concerned about Inspector liability for these reports. Any feedback on the recallchek program would be greatly appreciated.
    I do not get involved in all of that. It is not worth the time and trouble and if someone gets wrong information then it comes back to you. Is it really worth it.

This is what I do and it is on my front page farther down.

I tell folks I will take pictures if they want of any tag I can locvate on appliances and such and they can do their own checking. They actually like it because they become part of the investigatory process of the inspection.

I just give them this website address from the government Find Recalled Products by Product Type They look the make model and number up and there you go. You really did not do anymore than take a few extra pictures. No flim flam, hype and fluff, just straight out honesty that folks love with out you having to sell them something other than a home inspection. Some actually go around at the inspection gathering the info. Works for me. I get to do what I am being paid for .... inspecting.

Some folks have free giveaways all over their site. I sell home inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shryock View Post

John- saw this post and I have to ask- what improper information would you be referring to? We've done several hundreds of thousands of reports and haven't had that feedback even once.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I do not get involved in all of that. It is not worth the time and trouble and if someone gets wrong information then it comes back to you. Is it really worth it.

This is what I do and it is on my front page farther down.

I tell folks I will take pictures if they want of any tag I can locvate on appliances and such and they can do their own checking. They actually like it because they become part of the investigatory process of the inspection.

I just give them this website address from the government Find Recalled Products by Product Type They look the make model and number up and there you go. You really did not do anymore than take a few extra pictures. No flim flam, hype and fluff, just straight out honesty that folks love with out you having to sell them something other than a home inspection. Some actually go around at the inspection gathering the info. Works for me. I get to do what I am being paid for .... inspecting.

Some folks have free giveaways all over their site. I sell home inspections.

[From Nathan]

Ted- I would strongly suggest that you don't point your clients to that site. Let them find it on their own if you're not going to offer the service- the problem being that the CPSC's site isn't indexed properly, so you're more likely to miss a recalled item than actually find one. What I would do, at the very least, is throw one of our RecallChek submission consumer portals on your website. It's free to you, you set the price, and you make money every time they use it. Plus it's the only guaranteed way to identify recalls and we find them in about 1 out of every 10 homes we check. The post you responded to regarding improper information is an interesting one, and we'll get to the bottom of it, but you should definitely take the time to talk to Mike Doerr in my office at 800-544-8156.

Nathan,
    I provided you with a model # that I had copied from a Comfortmaker exterior A/C unit. You sent my client(buyer)and their agent a report claiming a 90% match for a recall. In the report you sent them,you provided information about a Consolidated Premier Furnace with a potential for fire hazard. In addition to model numbers being run in your data base,I was also under the impression that reports were hand checked before being released. Had the report been hand checked,the mistake would have probably been caught. Sorry Nathan.I have the recallchek portal on my website but I do not offer to provide the service anymore.
    John

I appreciate that! We work hard on making that link for you.

I think we failed in some way here, in our explaining the service to you in the beginning, and perhaps our new report format would have solved the confusion.

The report was checked by hand, it was reported accurately as not being a recall.

I use RecallChek and have had good experiences with it. They check the appliances against the CPSC's information. The report comes back with the likely hood of a recall and a phone number. The clients seem to all like it and I have never had any issues with the report themselves. I've spoke to Nathan personally and he does stand by his products and offers information when needed. His staff is helpful. My only down side is I wish there was a faster way to enter the model numbers but that's not their fault.

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

Well thanks for that Robert! We certainly try.

On the speed of entry issue, have you tried our picture upload? You can now take pictures of the model plates and we'll put in the model numbers for you. There's also some awesome integration with most software platforms out there.