Raghav Singh Guest

Default Exposed Contacts

Hello,
    I was just wondering what recommendation you would give regarding these exposed wire connections (and general disorganization of the system). What is the most simple fix? Is this specifically against code? (I have not been able to find a code which addresses this). Any other insight would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Exposed Contacts

What is shown is low voltage wires. There is no requirement to enclose low voltage wires or connections, in fact, most often, the transformer should not be enclosed.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Raghav Singh Guest

Thanks for clearing that up , electrical systems/codes are still a weak point for me and I am working on fixing that as soon as possible. I'm trying to gain some "common sense" about electrical principles/systems and this definitely falls under that category, its much appreciated

There appears to be exposed romex wiring entering the top of J-box that maybe low enough to be subject to physical damage and could cause a danger, this is a safety concern. Recommend further review from a qualified electrician contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Rowden View Post
    There appears to be exposed romex wiring entering the top of J-box that maybe low enough to be subject to physical damage and could cause a danger, this is a safety concern. Recommend further review from a qualified electrician contractor.
    Okay, I reviewed it - it is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Guridi View Post
    Okay, I reviewed it - it is fine.
    OK, please explain. I would think that if it was easily accessible and is subject to physical damage there would be a concern.

OK, please explain. I would think that if it was easily accessible and is subject to physical damage there would be a concern.
    Who said it was subject to physical damage? This is a totally subjective decision. Few AHJs, and certainly the NEC or IRC, does not have any specific guide lines for this install.

334.15 Exposed Work. In exposed work, except as provided
    in 300.11(A), cable shall be installed as specified in
    334.15(A) through (C).

(B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be
    protected from physical damage.....

From what I can see this unit would appear to be an older Rheem unit installed in a horizontal position. Installed in this position would hint that the unit is installed in an attic, crawlspace, basement or some other unfinished area. I would have to see a wider shot of this install before I would want to defer it to the trades. I would not have a problem with what I see right here.

I never liked the design of these units with the gas valve & control wiring this close to the burner. Seems like most of the time the heat shield or rollout shield (just left of the gas valve) is left off at some time and the wiring gets toasted over time.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    From what I can see this unit would appear to be an older Rheem unit installed in a horizontal position. Installed in this position would hint that the unit is installed in an attic, crawlspace, basement or some other unfinished area. I would have to see a wider shot of this install before I would want to defer it to the trades. I would not have a problem with what I see right here.

I never liked the design of these units with the gas valve & control wiring this close to the burner. Seems like most of the time the heat shield or rollout shield (just left of the gas valve) is left off at some time and the wiring gets toasted over time.
    Good assessment.

Forget the wiring is that piles of rust flakes/particles under the burner. My neighbor had one in their crawl space. Shield removed and they had flame roll out that scorched there floor. Older home no insulation.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Raghav Singh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post

You nailed it , unfortunately I do not have a wider picture of the unit. The reason it concerned me was just the general "neglected" feel of the area .

One (very serious) example of many, is this vent which is supposed to "completely remove all products of combustion and to vent gasses to the outside air without condensation in the vent or spillage at the draft hood"
    [This is not code , it is an explanation of proper operation from a manufacturers website]

Not to derail but why it was not re-installed, especially since the buyers were looking to close ASAP and the house was supposed to be operational, is a mystery to me.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Raghav Singh View Post
    ... but why it was not re-installed,...
    The expansion tank is likely to close and interfears with the draft hood.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.