Default Height of main disconnect

As you can see in the photo, the height of the main disconnect is just above the top of this door. (cover removed by me).

Is there any max or min height requirement for access?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Default Re: Height of main disconnect

From the 2011 NEC
    404.8 Accessibility and Grouping
    (A) Location. All switches and circuit breakers used as switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place. They shall be installed such that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform.

The power company may have stricter rules regarding the acceptable mounting heights. Typical is 4' to 5'6 to the center of the meter.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

beach house right?
    did you call the local Building dept?

It is a beach house, constructed in the 60's, major renovations (with permits) in the late 80's.

It's been there for a while, so I guess if the electric company had any beefs, they would have stepped up by now.

My curiousity got me as I had a hard time trying to reach the panel to determine the breaker size.

Ken Amelin

Just curious ... how close was the siding, and the wall framing behind it, to the ground/stone?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    It is a beach house, constructed in the 60's, major renovations (with permits) in the late 80's.

It's been there for a while, so I guess if the electric company had any beefs, they would have stepped up by now.

My curiousity got me as I had a hard time trying to reach the panel to determine the breaker size.
    It looks like the PoCo "stepped up" and installed a smart meter, end of problem for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Just curious ... how close was the siding, and the wall framing behind it, to the ground/stone?
    Too close, by the look of it.
    It's a beach house so the big question might be "How close was the siding to sea level?".

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    It's a beach house so the big question might be "How close was the siding to sea level?".
    That is similar to what my first thought was: If the meter and disconnect were installed that high to be above flood and wave action, what does that say about the first floor level ... other than 'Yeah, we know, it's toast.'

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Great observations and questions!

The lower level of the house is block foundation. The siding is cladding over the block. (plywood and shingles) for cosmetics.

Ken Amelin

The lower level of the house is block foundation. The siding is cladding over the block. (plywood and shingles) for cosmetics.
    "The siding is cladding over the block. (plywood and shingles) for cosmetics."

Still needs to be 6" to 8" above grade.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Robert Schenck Guest

Ken - I'm telling ya, I must have inspected the house right next door to the one you inspected ? Except when I got there, the power panel was quite lower, it was high tide (as you can see by the water) and a cute blonde was standing at the door way. For a short while I lost focus on what I was doing there ? Then I realize .. "Oh yea, a home inspection"

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Robert,

Neat trick. You had me fooled for a while. (And she is definitely a cute one)
    What software did you use to doctor the photo?

Ken Amelin

Robert,

Neat trick. You had me fooled for a while. (And she is definitely a cute one)
    What software did you use to doctor the photo?
    "The Professional Inspector", it's available for free at NACHI.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Robert Schenck Guest

Ken - Thanks. It's called Corel Paintshop Pro X4. One of my hobby's is photoshop. I saw your pic and knew right away I could manipulate it with some good affects. I agree, the girl is a cutie. I had to find one that looked as though she's standing up against a pole. The water and power panel was a cut, paste and erase task. It does make you look at the two pics for awhile and say ... "Hey this is the same pic" - lol

Rick - I don't know exactly what you mean by ... "The Professional Inspector", it's available for free at NACHI.