Matthew Pedersen Guest

Default Breach of Common Firewall

Hello, this is my first posting and I hope it is a useful topic. In the garage a furnace is mounted next to the ceiling and insulated ducts are used to distribute the conditioned air. The firewall (5/8" drywall) has been cut out all around the furnace on this ceiling leaving a gap of about 2 inches. I called this out and wanted to make sure this is something that should be called out. This was one of many homes in this neighborhood with a similar furnace installation.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Breach of Common Firewall

Matthew,

There is some semantic disagreement regarding the garage wall with the people on this board, but essentially you are correct. Taped or fire caulked is the typical correction.

By the way, welcome to the board.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Aaron Miller Guest

Default Re: Breach of Common Firewall

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Pedersen View Post
    Hello, this is my first posting and I hope it is a useful topic. In the garage a furnace is mounted next to the ceiling and insulated ducts are used to distribute the conditioned air. The firewall (5/8" drywall) has been cut out all around the furnace on this ceiling leaving a gap of about 2 inches. I called this out and wanted to make sure this is something that should be called out. This was one of many homes in this neighborhood with a similar furnace installation.
    R309.1.1 Duct penetration.
    Ducts in the garage and ducts penetrating the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be constructed of a minimum No. 26 gage (0.48 mm) sheet steel or other approved material and shall have no openings into the garage.

Aaron