Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Horizontal installation of water heater

"All positions*
    Every mounting position suits to a Tank-in-tank, because the temperature is nearly the same in any place of the stainless steel tank.

* model dependent"

Tank-in-Tank

They show a little diagram of a "tank-in-tank" on its side. Interesting way of heat transfer.

I was wondering whether you could have it set up so that the water came from the boiler, went through the water heater, then on to do in-floor or even radiator heat before going back to the boiler. In-floor doesn't require a very high temp, so even if some energy was lost in the water heater it might still work. You just couldn't take too many hot showers, or your feet would get cold. What do you guys think? Am I dreaming?

OREP Insurance
    Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    "All positions*
    Every mounting position suits to a Tank-in-tank, because the temperature is nearly the same in any place of the stainless steel tank.

* model dependent"

Tank-in-Tank

They show a little diagram of a "tank-in-tank" on its side. Interesting way of heat transfer.

I was wondering whether you could have it set up so that the water came from the boiler, went through the water heater, then on to do in-floor or even radiator heat before going back to the boiler. In-floor doesn't require a very high temp, so even if some energy was lost in the water heater it might still work. You just couldn't take too many hot showers, or your feet would get cold. What do you guys think? Am I dreaming?
    Kristi,

Sure it's Possible ( I guess ) .

But as a Home Inspector I can only Report On what I see.

If I can't see it or Verify by another means I can only Report what I see was present on that Day and Time

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Kristi, that boiler is much much more efficient producing 105f water than it is producing 140f water.

Indirect will have it's own zone, and take priority, when the tank needs to heat water. Boiler knows what tank wants. So it will throttle up. Think climbing a steep hill with your foot to the floor.

The rest of the time it'll idle along maximizing condensing efficiency by delivering much colder water. Think cruise control across the plains at 53 mph.

On tank orientation, guess we need to know model and serial to know if that orientation is a no no.

The technical term for an "indirect" type of heater is a hot water generator. Been so long since I've seen or spec'd one I had forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by ted kidd View Post
    Kristi, that boiler is much much more efficient producing 105f water than it is producing 140f water.

Indirect will have it's own zone, and take priority, when the tank needs to heat water. Boiler knows what tank wants. So it will throttle up. Think climbing a steep hill with your foot to the floor. Uh, how steep?

The rest of the time it'll idle along maximizing condensing efficiency by delivering much colder water. Think cruise control across the plains at 53 mph. Gee, do I haveta? How monotonous.

On tank orientation, guess we need to know model and serial to know if that orientation is a no no.
    Well, in my perfect system the tank would be cleverly designed to use counterflow to exchange heat, and the boiler water would come out at 110, lose 5 degrees on the way thru the tubin', and warm everyone jus' poifeck, tootsies t' noggin.

Yup, this idea will make me rich and famous. I'll be princess of the plumbing world, Royal Rhoda Roota.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Ted was right, it's a Triangle Tube, just not the Smart series...it's Phase III. At any rate, apparently not designed for horizontal installation.

Indirect Hot Water Heaters

(Next I expect Billy to suggest someone took a sticker from one of these and put in on a storage tank. )

- James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    Ted was right, it's a Triangle Tube, just not the Smart series...it's Phase III. At any rate, apparently not designed for horizontal installation.

Indirect Hot Water Heaters

(Next I expect Billy to suggest someone took a sticker from one of these and put in on a storage tank. )
    Somebody Took a Sticker From One of These and Put It On a Storage Tank!

Good Sleuthing Kristi Now we have something we can report.
    * if it's not installed per Manufacturers Installation Instructions is it still an indirect WH?
    ** This Company also makes Just Storage Tanks Triangle Tube MS3 Mini Smart Water Storage Tank

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 02-21-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: added link
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12