Default old copper water reservoir?

This long, flat copper box has two pipes at the bottom, one 1/2" and the other 3/8" with a valve on it, both pipes running through the floor. It is in a closet on the third floor of a house from 1905. What is it?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Default Re: old copper water reservoir?

Its an old expansion tank for the hot water heating system. As with this one in old homes they were installed in the attic or closet.

Here you go

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Thanks, Raymond! Never would have thought of that in a million years, it being so far from the boiler. I suppose it had to be above the level of the radiators.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

kristi

i thought you only did exterior inspections--what gives

cvf

No, I do some that are exterior only, some both exterior and interior.

- James Burgh, 1754.

I don't normally look in closets, but this was a more detailed survey, high replacement cost.

Photo was taken with the PH's permission for the express purpose of posting here to find out more about it.

- James Burgh, 1754.

I went back to this house today and talked to a plumber who was working there. He said this thing is actually a water heater. The 1/4" (not 3/8", as I first wrote) copper tube is a gas line, and there's burner at the bottom of the tank. He said he's seen them associated with a lot of old bathrooms, sometimes hung right on the wall.

I was hoping the homeowner would want to get rid of it, but no such luck.

Found a site strictly about about water heaters. They even have a water heater forum. Could be some good info here (though I haven't found anything like the one in my photo).

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 02-21-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    I went back to this house today and talked to a plumber who was working there. He said this thing is actually a water heater.
    That would make a great conversation piece and souvenier.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That would make a great conversation piece and souvenier.

It would also be worth its weight in, well, copper.