Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mathew stouffer Guest

Default Horizontal installation of water heater

Can an indirect fired water heater be installed horizontally

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Horizontal installation of water heater

It is, therefore it can.
    Should it be?
    Only if the manufactures installation instructions say it can.
    But I doubt that it is allowed.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

before this picture.....
    I have never seen that....

James Duffin Guest

I've seen lots of tanks installed horizontally but it has to be designed for the application.

mathew stouffer Guest

was a first for me. I like the pan.

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post

Storage tank.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post

Those look like "storage tanks" and are shown as being heated by a separate boiler.

That water heater is not intended to be installed horizontally, would not heat the water well, the T&P relief valve location may be a problem, as well as other things.

The water heater shown in the original post is like a 16 inch gun waiting to be fired ... POW! and off it goes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There are a few that I found on the net, but they didn't look like that one. Crown and Broderus (sp?) had one. Also, check out the prices. That's a lot of money for a storage tank, imo.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Hello Matthew. Are you sure that is a water heater? Some people (and Billy) are telling you it may be storing the water which could be heated by that boiler beside it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Hello Matthew. Are you sure that is a water heater? Some people (and Billy) are telling you it may be storing the water which could be heated by that boiler beside it.
    Yes,
    Is that tank before or after the Boiler?

Could it be a water heater that was converted for use as an expansion tank for the boiler system?

Could it be a heat exchanger? Is there a solar panel on the roof?

Steel frame, concrete floor, OSB crawlspace????? Matt, tell us more about the building. (Just curious)

Last edited by Vern Heiler; 10-26-2011 at 04:39 AM.
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

mathew stouffer Guest

I call it an indirect fired water heater, but it is also called a storage tank. It relies on the boiler to heat the water so it does not have a self contained heating element.

Pic of the capacity plate?

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post

Some people (and Billy) are telling you it may be storing the water .

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Those look like "storage tanks" and are shown as being heated by a separate boiler.

That water heater is not intended to be installed horizontally, would not heat the water well, the T&P relief valve location may be a problem, as well as other things.

The water heater shown in the original post is like a 16 inch gun waiting to be fired ... POW! and off it goes.
    He said indirect fired so it is not a water heater....it is a storage tank. One of my previous places of employment had over 100 boilers and lots of storage tanks used in this type setup. Our tanks had to be ASME rated but it is the same concept.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    He said indirect fired so it is not a water heater....it is a storage tank.
    Saying it is an indirect water heater means it is not a water heater, or it was indirectly fired in some way (which is not visible in the photo).

If it is a storage tank and is not fired in any way, then there is still the problem with the T&P relief valve location (which is not shown at the top where it would be required to be) and that water-heater-turned-storage-tank (if that is what it is) would still be incorrect and not used in accordance with it listing and labeling ... not installed horizontally like that.

As others have said, the horizontally installed storage tanks *do not look like that*, that is a vertical tank laid on its side and it was not designed nor intended to be installed that way.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Horizontal is OK only if the manufacturer recommends it.

Matt Nelson Guest

It is obviously just a storage tank, the boiler is on the right with the Tracpipe. The storage tank has no gas piping or any area for combustion.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nelson View Post
    It is obviously just a storage tank, the boiler is on the right with the Tracpipe. The storage tank has no gas piping or any area for combustion.
    From post 18 above:
    If it is a storage tank and is not fired in any way, then there is still the problem with the T&P relief valve location (which is not shown at the top where it would be required to be) and that water-heater-turned-storage-tank (if that is what it is) would still be incorrect and not used in accordance with it listing and labeling ... not installed horizontally like that.

As others have said, the horizontally installed storage tanks *do not look like that*, that is a vertical tank laid on its side and it was not designed nor intended to be installed that way.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

An indirect water heater is not "fired." It uses water from the boiler (or other heating system) to transfer heat to cold water, so it is a water heater and not just a storage tank.

Dunno about installation on their side, but I doubt it. They're cylindrical, after all.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    An indirect water heater is not "fired." It uses water from the boiler (or other heating system) to transfer heat to cold water, so it is a water heater and not just a storage tank.

Dunno about installation on their side, but I doubt it. They're cylindrical, after all.
    Nope.

This one just stores the heated water.

Kristi,
    Tank is used for volume storage of the hot water. The water is actually heated in the boiler (summer/winter hooh up), boiler has an additional coil in it as the heat transfer mechanism that then is piped to the tank.

How can you tell it's a storage tank and not a heater? And why would the OP call it that if it isn't one?

I mostly wanted to correct any impression that if a water heater doesn't have its own means of combustion, it isn't a water heater.

Looks like a heater to me, with a hot water circuit and a cold-to-warm circuit.

Does the house have in-floor radiant heat?

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

I call it an indirect fired water heater, but it is also called a storage tank. It relies on the boiler to heat the water so it does not have a self contained heating element.
    How can you tell it's a storage tank and not a heater? And why would the OP call it that if it isn't one?

I mostly wanted to correct any impression that if a water heater doesn't have its own means of combustion, it isn't a water heater.

Looks like a heater to me, with a hot water circuit and a cold-to-warm circuit.

Does the house have in-floor radiant heat?

Here's an indirect water water, though this one is coupled with a geothermal heat pump system rather than a boiler.

Why would someone have a giant water storage tank like that?

- James Burgh, 1754.

Yes, Billy, we can read, there's no reason to just quote a bunch of other posts. What's your point? What makes you think it's a storage tank?

Matthew is right - in an indirect water heater, water is heated by the boiler (or by some other external source). But that hot water is used to heat a separate circuit of cold water through heat exchange within the tank. That's why indirect water heaters are called heaters and not storage tanks, though they may act as such as well.

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 02-18-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Is there any electrical or gas connected to this water heater/storage tank/whatyoumaycallit?
    If there isn't an energy source, I don't see how it could be a water heater.

Yes, Billy, we can read, there's no reason to just quote a bunch of other posts. What's your point? What makes you think it's a storage tank?

Matthew is right - in an indirect water heater, water is heated by the boiler (or by some other external source). But that hot water is used to heat a separate circuit of cold water through heat exchange within the tank. That's why indirect water heaters are called heaters and not storage tanks, though they may act as such as well.
    Nope ,

Not this one, just stores the Heated Water.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 02-18-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: removed it

Jack, the energy is in the hot water (or "fluid," I guess - see below) coming from the boiler.

From the energysavers.gov site:

"Indirect water heaters offer a more efficient choice for most homes, even though they require a storage tank. An indirect water heater uses the main furnace or boiler to heat a fluid that's circulated through a heat exchanger in the storage tank. The energy stored by the water tank allows the furnace to turn off and on less often, which saves energy. Therefore, an indirect water heater is used with a high-efficiency boiler and well-insulated tank can be the least expensive means of providing hot water."

Look familiar? Yes, obviously it is a storage tank as well, but it's primary function is heating water.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Jack, the energy is in the hot water (or "fluid," I guess - see below) coming from the boiler.

From the energysavers.gov site:

"Indirect water heaters offer a more efficient choice for most homes, even though they require a storage tank. An indirect water heater uses the main furnace or boiler to heat a fluid that's circulated through a heat exchanger in the storage tank. The energy stored by the water tank allows the furnace to turn off and on less often, which saves energy. Therefore, an indirect water heater is used with a high-efficiency boiler and well-insulated tank can be the least expensive means of providing hot water."

Look familiar? Yes, obviously it is a storage tank as well, but it's primary function is heating water.

Please Point out the Heat Exchanger Coils in OP's Picture of this Storage Tank.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 02-18-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added picture 2 from OP

Matt Nelson Guest

Now that I look at the picture closer I think Kristi may be right.
    Lets say the boiler feed goes into the bottom left hand corner, coming out at the top right hand corner. Cold water supply in on the left bottom side out the top left side. I'm not saying thats the way it is but it's possible?

Lets say the boiler feed goes into the bottom left hand corner, coming out at the top right hand corner. Cold water supply in on the left bottom side out the top left side. I'm not saying thats the way it is but it's possible?
    Bottom Left hand Corner is not feed by Boiler but from an off the Picture Source.

Matt Nelson Guest

Looks like its coming out of the expannsion tank area near the boiler to me.?.

Matt Nelson Guest

Ok being fed from the boiler in the upper right hand corner and returning from the bottom left corner LOL.

Please Point out the Heat Exchanger Coils in OP's Picture of this Storage Tank.
    Billy, you're the one who's omniscient, who sees what others don't and doesn't have to explain your proclamations, you of all people should be able to see through the shell and tell us all about the coils inside. Or are you saying that's how you know it's just a storage tank - you can see there aren't any?

That's a really good strategy, demanding the proof be something impossible to show. I guess you outsmarted me!

I know this is all wrong, of course, because Billy says it's a storage tank, but just to show my misguided thinking about this:
    Boiler circuit through the copper, cold input and heated output through the pex on end. Pressure release valve on end. Billy may be right that the hot water input is from off-screen if it goes through a radiator system first, but I think we just can't see where it comes out of the boiler.

What I want to know is, how is this thing supported? What is its weight resting on?

Steel frame, concrete floor, OSB crawlspace????? Matt, tell us more about the building. (Just curious)
    I'm interested, too. But I thought this was an attic.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Looks to be low pressure system with water heater tank being used for storage only. Hint: Note the auto vent on the left ("top") of the tank. This type vent would likely not survive pressures over 30 PSI. With this setup, I don't see any issue as a tank is a tank regardless of position. Looks funny though using a standard water heater in this manner. The 30 PSI pressure (not T&P) relief valve would be installed on the adjacent boiler. I would think this system is being used for baseboard space heating.

Billy, you're the one who's omniscient, who sees what others don't and doesn't have to explain your proclamations, you of all people should be able to see through the shell and tell us all about the coils inside. Or are you saying that's how you know it's just a storage tank - you can see there aren't any.

That's a really good strategy, demanding the proof be something impossible to show. I guess you outsmarted me!

I know this is all wrong, of course, because Billy says it's a storage tank, but just to show my misguided thinking about this:
    Boiler circuit through the copper, cold input and heated output through the pex on end. Pressure release valve on end. Billy may be right that the hot water input is from off-screen if it goes through a radiator system first, but I think we just can't see where it comes out of the boiler.

What I want to know is, how is this thing supported? What is its weight resting on?

I'm interested, too. But I thought this was an attic.
    I"m not seeing the feed and return lines for Heater Exchange Coils .
    * The Pex ( Yellow on the End is the Gas Supply Line to the Heater)

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 02-18-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Looks to me that I see water in and water out from the 'top' of the tank (now the left end of the tank), and that I see heater water from the boiler in at the top left and out at the bottom not from from the right end back to the boiler.

To me, that makes the tank not only a storage tank, but a water heater too, with the heat supplied by the heated water from the boiler.

Regardless, that is a vertical tank and not a horizontal tank, the tank is not installed as it was designed to be installed nor intended to be installed, and that is a problem.

If there is not enough room to install the vertical tank vertically, then spend the extra money and buy a proper tank which is designed and intended to be installed horizontally ... wait ... those cost more than a regular vertical water heater, so that makes it okay to install the vertical tank horizontally? Nope, it does not.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Looks to me that I see water in and water out from the 'top' of the tank (now the left end of the tank), and that I see heater water from the boiler in at the top left and out at the bottom not from from the right end back to the boiler.

To me, that makes the tank not only a storage tank, but a water heater too, with the heat supplied by the heated water from the boiler.

Regardless, that is a vertical tank and not a horizontal tank, the tank is not installed as it was designed to be installed nor intended to be installed, and that is a problem.

If there is not enough room to install the vertical tank vertically, then spend the extra money and buy a proper tank which is designed and intended to be installed horizontally ... wait ... those cost more than a regular vertical water heater, so that makes it okay to install the vertical tank horizontally? Nope, it does not.
    I'm still not seeing a feed from the top left.

Yellow Pex appears to be a Gas feed to heater, Not seeing any connection to heater by Orange Pex .

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Saville View Post
    Looks to be low pressure system with water heater tank being used for storage only. Hint: Note the auto vent on the left ("top") of the tank. This type vent would likely not survive pressures over 30 PSI. With this setup, I don't see any issue as a tank is a tank regardless of position. Looks funny though using a standard water heater in this manner. The 30 PSI pressure (not T&P) relief valve would be installed on the adjacent boiler. I would think this system is being used for baseboard space heating.
    Steve,

Do you know of a Tank Listed by the Manufacturer for this Type of Low Pressure Installation?

- James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Bottom Left hand Corner is not feed by Boiler but from an off the Picture Source.
    Lets say the boiler feed goes into the bottom left hand corner, coming out at the top right hand corner.

Cold water supply in on the left bottom side out the top left side. I'm not saying thats the way it is but it's possible?
    Not a direct feed from the heater.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 02-18-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: the added

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Boiler to the indirect coil WOULDN'T be pex the Pex and CPVC are the circulating water cold imput and tempered output (presumably potable).

Follow the copper from the boiler and back to same. Don't confuse recirc (return) of the tempered recirculation of cooled heated circulating water (from orig. drain/flush port) for the coil ports as you can't see them in either pic as the vertical indirect is on its side. If you look real close you'll find a service flush valve port in the copper mid way along the floor under the indirect.

Its wrong install/application, but the OP correctly identified the equipment, this was a dead thread. IIRC this topic & pics originally was dually posted. Apparently the other one got deleted, now months later B.S. is covering this one with B.S. again. I recall a photo from the pad direction looking at what should have been the tops of two side by side and the skis in foreground and boiler in background off to the right.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 02-18-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Boiler to the indirect coil WOULDN'T be pex the Pex and CPVC are the circulating water cold imput and tempered output (presumably potable).

Follow the copper from the boiler and back to same. Don't confuse recirc (return) of the tempered recirculation of cooled heated circulating water (from orig. drain/flush port) for the coil ports as you can't see them in either pic as the vertical indirect is on its side. If you look real close you'll find a service flush valve port in the copper mid way along the floor under the indirect.

Its wrong install/application, but the OP correctly identified the equipment, this was a dead thread. IIRC this topic & pics originally was dually posted. Apparently the other one got deleted, now months later B.S. is covering this one with B.S. again. I recall a photo from the pad direction looking at what should have been the tops of two side by side and the skis in foreground and boiler in background off to the right.
    This Thread was Started 10/25/2011 and Died 10/26/2011.

I did not Resurrect this Topic.

If anything has been Deleted it would be Your Short term Memory. ( Nice Way of Saying You Tend to Make Things Up on The Fly.)

Steve,

Do you know of a Tank Listed by the Manufacturer for this Type of Low Pressure Installation?
    No, not off the top of my head.
    But considering a water heater is rated for 150 PSI, I wouldn't think there is an issue using the tank for a low pressure purpose.

But considering a water heater is rated for 150 PSI, I wouldn't think there is an issue using the tank for a low pressure purpose.
    There isn't an issue using the tank for low pressure purposes.

There is an issue on *how* the tank is used for low pressure purposes, i.e., taking a tank designed and intended for vertical installation and installing it horizontally *is incorrect and should not be done*.

If in doubt, write the manufacturer's name down, their phone number, the model number of the tank, call the manufacturer and describe what you are looking at (better yet, get an email address and send them a photo) ... when they are through laughing ... they will tell you want they think of that installation. If you some how get a letter from the manufacturer stating that is acceptable, make sure the letter come from their engineering and technical department and not their sales department.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Steve,

But if it's Not Listed by The Manufacture for the Application then it's Not Allowed.

* doesn't mean there are none but must be listed for the application.

Very nice triangle tube boiler and what appears to be triangle tube "tank within a tank" type indirect.

Kristi's illustration is basically correct, excep instead of a coil, tt uses ss tank inside the main tank. Lots of surface area for quick recovery and temperature and pressure changes between tanks help prevent mineral buildup, thus keeping high heat transfer efficiencies.

For those who adamantly think this is simply storage, real men eat crow with dignity from time to time. Those who cant be wrong ever have a hard time learning new things. note FOUR water pipes to that tank.

Never seen an install like this, but it is very creative. I like creative. Thing that fails for me is piping should be insulated.

Guess you'd have to call mfr to find out if/how this represents a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ted kidd View Post
    Very nice triangle tube boiler and what appears to be triangle tube "tank within a tank" type indirect.

Kristi's illustration is basically correct, excep instead of a coil, tt uses ss tank inside the main tank. Lots of surface area for quick recovery and temperature and pressure changes between tanks help prevent mineral buildup, thus keeping high heat transfer efficiencies.

For those who adamantly think this is simply storage, real men eat crow with dignity from time to time. Those who cant be wrong ever have a hard time learning new things. note FOUR water pipes to that tank.

Never seen an install like this, but it is very creative. I like creative. Thing that fails for me is piping should be insulated.

Well Kidd,

I'm willing to learn ( would you be willing to point those out?)

Billy, they already have been pointed out! If you can't accept it, that's too bad, but do you have to insist that people show you what has already been discussed? Two copper pipes on the round part, two pex on the "top."

Ted, I'm interested in the different types of indirect water heaters. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind a tank within a tank, when coils would transfer heat so much more effectively (though the point about mineral buildup is a good one). And how can you tell the difference from the outside? (I'm not questioning your judgement, I'm curious.)

- James Burgh, 1754.

Billy, they already have been pointed out! If you can't accept it, that's too bad, but do you have to insist that people show you what has already been discussed? Two copper pipes on the round part, two pex on the "top."
    Sorry Still not seeing a Direct return to the heater.
    * the Pex feeds the System

A door bell button (switch) is not listed by the mfg or by UL for any use other than a door bell, so under no circumstances would it be allowed to used as a momentary contact switch to operate your remote door opener, or any other application. This analogy also applies to improvised water storage tanks.

A horizontal storage tank/indirect heater is used all the time in commercial installations so it's not all that unusual. So I concur with Ted, especially about the creativity part.

However . . .

The typical storage tank/indirect heater tank is designed for vertical installation so as others have stated, it must be listed for this install by the mfr.

AND, the drain pan would appear to be a fail. The other connections should covered as it were, by the drain pan. In fact I think the boiler should have a pan as well.

Looks fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Phillips View Post
    Looks fine to me.
    Hey Look Kristi,

It's a Storage Tank Installed Upside Down.

Hey Look Kristi,

It's a Storage Tank Installed Upside Down.
    Fixed that problem.

And by the way its an indirect water heater. Sorry about mounting everything else on the floor in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Phillips View Post
    Fixed that problem.

And by the way its an indirect water heater. Sorry about mounting everything else on the floor in front of it.
    Thanks Paul,
    * By the way Talk is Cheap.
    ** unless your a Lawyer.

Thomas Jones Guest

Here's an indirect water water, though this one is coupled with a geothermal heat pump system rather than a boiler.

Why would someone have a giant water storage tank like that?
    Hi Kristi,

Although geothermal systems are pricey, that is a very efficient set-up. While the heat pump cannot heat the water tank (generally electric) to desired levels, it will keep the water inside warm enough so that the tank will "fire up" less often. An all electric home with this type of set-up would see the utility bills cut in half.

Thomas, the tank I posted in the photo is an indirect water heater, it doesn't have a heating mechanism itself. The heat pumps, I believe, are enough to warm the water in the indirect heater for it to be used for in-floor heating. Can't remember if they are used in tandem or not (photo is from an addition my uncle and I built a few years ago). There are regular water heaters for household hot water.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Pretty sure it's a tt smart indirect.

Probably install instructions there if you dig.

Indirect Fired Water Heaters | TriangleTube

Pretty sure it's a tt smart indirect.

Probably install instructions there if you dig.

Indirect Fired Water Heaters | TriangleTube

http://www.triangletube.com/document...-TR-Manual.pdf
    " The PhaseIII®
    TR Series and SMART Series
    Water Heaters are designed for vertical installation only"

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yall perked my curiosity...

Yep, not kosher:

The PhaseIII® TR Series and SMART Series Water Heaters are designed for vertical instal- lation only.

Yall perked my curiosity...

Yep, not kosher:
    The PhaseIII® TR Series and SMART Series Water Heaters are designed for vertical instal- lation only.
    Yep and It's Not A SMART Water Heater as well. Installation Piping does not match.

And if You Look at the LOGO she's No Match = No SMART.
    She Might even be a little Dim.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 02-20-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: rearranged posted photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast