Default core obstruction

Do you think the unit manufacturer would consider these anti theft cages as obstructing the core, IE violating the 12" minimum clearance.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: core obstruction

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Do you think the unit manufacturer would consider these anti theft cages as obstructing the core, IE violating the 12" minimum clearance.
    Call and send the Photos to the Manufacturer.
    * I say no.
    ** the Expanded Metal Design would not sufficiently hamper the coil functions.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Zibby Bujno Guest

its 12 min to solid wall or other unit. Cage is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Call and send the Photos to the Manufacturer.
    Good advice.

* I say no.
    ** the Expanded Metal Design would not sufficiently hamper the coil functions.
    I say yes, that cage will affect the air flow over the coil, many of the installation instructions I've read in the past do not even want plants around the units as they will restrict the air flow, and I suspect there is more surface area in that expanded metal than in plants.

That expanded metal if probably only about 70% net free area, if that much, and blocking 30% of the air is a lot of blockage.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Good advice.

I say yes, that cage will affect the air flow over the coil, many of the installation instructions I've read in the past do not even want plants around the units as they will restrict the air flow,.
    What I'm reading is Tall Grass, Weeds, Vines, Shrubs, Ect.
    * your mileage may vary.
    ** if the condenser is in the Scrap Yard It Won't Be Cooling.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Heavens no. Hail guards are typically more constrictive than those wire cages.

More importantly, the cages were put there for a reason. Bad neighborhood maybe? If that's the case recommending removal may be worse that any potential loss in efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    All the other conditions in the posts above being duly noted (theft, hail, etc.), the question was:
    - "Do you think the unit manufacturer would consider these anti theft cages as obstructing the core, IE violating the 12" minimum clearance."

The answer would be "yes" - which is not to say that the other reasons given to restrict the air are not valid ...

... restrict the air but keep the condenser unit vs removing the restriction and having the condenser unit "walk" away ... hmmm ... what would your choice be?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Bell Guest

I don't believe the open area of the expanded metal is in any way less than the open area of the coil or the condenser fan discharge leaving no restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    I don't believe the open area of the expanded metal is in any way less than the open area of the coil or the condenser fan discharge leaving no restriction.
    Would you say no restriction if a condenser unit had two enclosures over it?

How about 3, 4, 5, or more enclosures over it?

The first enclosure and its restriction is calculated and tested in with the rating of the condenser unit, the 2, 3, 4, 5, or the expanded metal is not, they are all additional restrictions to the original enclosure.

I'm guessing that expanded metal restricts (blocks) about 30% of the net free air area of the expanded metal enclosure after accounting for the expanded metal in both directions.

Would you allow a condenser unit to be installed tight up against a wall on one side? That would only be blocking/restricting 25% of the area, but I'm going to guess that you would not accept that, even at only 25% restriction.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Bell Guest

30% on the size of the cage which seems to me to be at least 30% bigger than the unit

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Would you say no restriction if a condenser unit had two enclosures over it?

How about 3, 4, 5, or more enclosures over it?
    Yes and Yes

there are pros and cons to both sides, but if it doesn't cool 100% to manufactured suggested levels I could live with that more so than having it walk away to some other location where it would not cool at all there. the obstructions will reduce the efficentency but the very open area around them will help them vs a location that has 12 in obstuctions located that close to them totally blocking air flow. that set up I could live with better than others with more direct blocking and less secure. security if needed there is worth more than the cost of air flow. Air flow is important but having the unit there is more so lol...

What kind of "hood" is this, where someone needs "anti theft cages"? I have never seen anything like this. Hope I never do.

Quote Originally Posted by howardmagathan View Post

What kind of "hood" is this, where someone needs "anti theft cage?
    Really not much of one.
    * in "The Hood" that Cage is just More Scrap Metal to haul off.
    ** along with The Water Lines, Water Heater, Wiring, Storm Doors, Fixtures and Anything else worth 12 cents.

inflation.... back in the old days they would have taken it for 2 cents worth lol