Default Refrigerator hot to touch

Older side by side freezer-refrigertor in an old run down trailer. If you open the door and touch the front edge surface of the dividing wall between the fridge and freezer section it is hot to touch. The other exterior sufaces were fine. Interiors seem appropriately cold, but may be running continously (probably a lot of dirt, grease and dust around the motor). I did not notice any unusual rush of hot air coming from the bottom vent under the doors. Unable to pull it out away from the wall without too much effort (it was jammed in pretty tight). What would cause such localized heat, and at that location?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Refrigerator hot to touch

Older refrigerators have a heating element between the doors to keep condensation from forming. I don't recall every finding one that was "Hot" but they are warm. On some units they have an "Energy Saver" switch that when turned off it will turn the heating element off.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Thanks for the reply Scott. Might be it, though it seemed unusually warm unless it was malfunctioning. Do you know if those elements had a thermostat or sensor, or were they always on at a low temp?

I think those were set to cycle on and off, probably a timer of sorts. It does not take much to prevent condensation from forming there.

If it is *hot*, it (the heat strip) may be staying on all the time.

I forgot who, but one of our regulars here used to be in appliance service for over six years (if I correctly recall the reason why he was chastising me for questioning him on whatever issue was being discussed), he should have good knowledge and input on this.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I think those were set to cycle on and off, probably a timer of sorts. It does not take much to prevent condensation from forming there.

If it is *hot*, it (the heat strip) may be staying on all the time.

I forgot who, but one of our regulars here used to be in appliance service for over six years (if I correctly recall the reason why he was chastising me for questioning him on whatever issue was being discussed), he should have good knowledge and input on this.

I believe it was the Ice Maker but forgot who it was.