Thread: Valley

Ron Bishop Guest

Default Valley

I am curious to hear thoughts about how this valley was laid down. Seems incorrect to me. Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Valley

Amateurs workmanship. There could be hidden screwups. If they don't know how to lay a valley, they don't know much of anything else, either.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

The method isn't in itself bad if the lower (left) layer extends far enough (min. 12") up the other side... BUT they didn't extend the shingles on the upper layer all the way to the valley, they should have been trimmed 2 inches above the bottom of the valley, and the ends should have been "glued" down. From a leak standpoint it may still be okay though, as long as no nails were used within 6 inches of the valley bottom and the left side shingles extend far enough up the opposite side of the valley. Actually, just trimming the shingles back to where the courses overlap and putting some adhesive on to tack them down would probably fix it. Things like trimming are left to the inexperienced grunts; the rest of the installation may be fine. Looks ridiculous!

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 11-03-2011 at 06:29 PM.

looks wrong to me. looks like the water might be headed under the tiles one way or another. might have been a diy job. time to be asking questions as to who did it and be on the look out for what else needs to be corrected

I would say that when they laid the shingle they snapped a chalk line and used it to cut the shingle. Unless you can pull the shingle up you have to assume that it hopefully lcovers the valley. The chopping of the shingle is something I have seen with some shingle of this type. It is an appearance issue.

The pic appears to be very steep pitches on the roof?? Is that a ridge to the left of the picture. If it is, that shingle your lifting would not need to continue through into the valley. Do you have a view of the entire roof?

Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer

Russel Ray Guest

Seems to be common for California. One roofing contract calls it "the California cut." I don't like it, and I explain to my clients why, and tell them that roofing contractors here don't seem to have a problem with it.

Frank Adame Guest

Order your own free copy of the Cetainteed Shingle Applicator's Manual, CertainTeed – Manufacturer of Quality Building Products - CertainTeed. It has great info and diagrams on numerous shingle installation methods. A lot of their diagrams have been posted here before.

Rod Corwin Guest

Looks like what they call a closed cut valley. Would be better to see a picture that shows roof and valley so as I could get a better feel for what this actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Corwin View Post
    Looks like what they call a closed cut valley. Would be better to see a picture that shows roof and valley so as I could get a better feel for what this actually is.
    It's a poorly cut closed cut valley. That's the problem. When you look up or down the valley, you should see a straight line. The cut spans the full exposure. See pic 1.

That style takes a lot of cutting. OK for 3-tab asphalt shingles or the old T-locks because they are thinner.

The standard roof here has an open valley like the second pic. They lay a row of shingles end to end down the valley. That's the straight line. And that is how the pros get 'er done.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by John Kogel; 11-05-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: better pic
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Roofmaster 417 Guest

I see nothing that even remotely resembles a Cali cut valley.Maybe a hurry up we got beer to drink cut.

1.Not enough of the steep sloped valley installation extends into the valley for proper coverage.

2.The valley entry cut is not 2" out of the center of the valley.

Last edited by Roofmaster 417; 01-24-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Ron,
    Maybe my yes. Are there different type of shingle design meeting at the valley ?

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Ray View Post
    Seems to be common for California. One roofing contract calls it "the California cut."
    Quote Originally Posted by Roofmaster 417 View Post
    I see nothing that even remotely resembles a Cali cut valley.
    Agreed ... sort of ... cannot tell exactly from the photos, but a California Cut Valley is where full shingles are laid up the valley with the straight shingle edge vertically up the valley and serving as the 'cut line'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Roofmaster 417 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Agreed ... sort of ... cannot tell exactly from the photos, but a California Cut Valley is where full shingles are laid up the valley with the straight shingle edge vertically up the valley and serving as the 'cut line'.
    I am very familiar with the Cali cut.Call me weird but I am having a huge complex about trying it.I have sub contractors and my in house crew that use the method.I have no beef with them using the technique.(Sort of)

IMO it leaves an obvious bulky look to the valley.It is not so obvious in the morning or at night but let the sun get behind the ridge casting a shadow then it is really obvious.Also when it frosts it is noticable.Some people like it and that is their choice.I like a roof that lays very nice and even and as flat and level as possible.

The lap shingle plus the bleeder then the dominate shingle is actually making the valley 3 layers.I agree that it reduces manpower/hours and eliminates the possibility of cutting into the valley.And it also saves some money on hook blades.,especially during the winter seasons when you break a blade every 10' or so when cutting.

I prefer the closed laced cut.Depending on the manufacture some recommend 2" from center or 3" from center.Also another thing the Cali cut eliminates is the failure to cut the points out from the underside of the shingles after the valley is cut.All of my crews pop lines when a closed lace is used.Actually everyone pops lines for ridge,cutting rakes,back counts as well as every other shingle contains a line parallel to the gutter all the way to the ridge line.

Last edited by Roofmaster 417; 01-25-2012 at 06:09 PM.