Default Not an HI, but love the forum!

Yes, it's true - I'm just a lowly insurance surveyor, and a new one at that. But I'm super curious by nature, and like to learn about things beyond what I need to know for my job. I also have residential construction/remodeling experience, and much to my delight have been able to contribute to a few discussions; hopefully my knowledge will increase to the point where I can do it more often.

The thing I like most about forums like this is the generosity people show in sharing their experience (and their puzzles) with others. I've learned so much just in a week or two. Thanks very much to all those who contribute!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Not an HI, but love the forum!

Commericial lines ? Who do you work for?

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

I work for Mueller Services Inc., and so far do strictly residential, mostly single-family dwellings, occasionally a duplex. Occupancy verifications, exterior and exterior/interior surveys. Pretty superficial as far as problems go; a lot is for replacement cost estimates. No claims. The aims are different from HI, so the methods are, too.

Well Kristi,

What you are doing is a start, get experienced, and see where you can take it.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    Well Kristi,

What you are doing is a start, get experienced, and see where you can take it.
    Exactly! And by the time I'm an HI, the industry will have recovered...that's the idea, anyway. Meanwhile I get to see quite a variety of houses, inside and out. I also take photos for my own reference when I find something interesting.

I see quite a few returned vets buying up houses. Maybe that will help the building industry a bit.

Thought I might post some photos of a construction project which very few builders ever have the chance to tackle. This is an addition to a Victorian B&B my uncle and I built - we did everything but the foundation, HVAC (geothermal, in-floor radiant), electric, plumbing, painting and ironwork. Working three days a week, through the winter, it took about 8 months.

The cool thing about it is a network of secret passages, hidden rooms and doors, trap doors, etc. making it possible to go from the basement to the rooftop gazebo, sight-unseen. The part I'm most proud of is the decorative fascia boards on the gables. I made all but one. They were assembled on the ground, and the angle had to be perfect for them to fit right.

First a photo of the north side, showing the original house and the addition. There are few windows on this side because it's mostly secret passages. City law prohibited additions matching the old parts; they had to be readily discernable.

2 - the west side, finished and painted.

3 - the crazy south side.

4 & 5 - photos of passage framing. Passages wrapped around 3 sides of the staircase, as well as under the flights of stairs themselves.

6 - a fascia piece on the ground, though not a good photo or large example. They were put in place using a boom truck. Made of HardieTrim.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Kristi Silber; 12-17-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Is this the Herman Munster residence?

Muhuhuhahaha...good place to visit for Halloween!

Actually, it's owned by a lovely couple of midwesterners. He had a lifelong dream of having a house like this and poured all his savings, and then some, into it. It's not open to the public yet, but if you're ever in Lanesboro, MN, mention my name and you might get a tour. Or stay at their B&B - the old part is gorgeous and the room in the new part that is open has its own deck and stairway to the gazebo, plus your breakfast is delivered by dumbwaiter. Scandinavian Inn.