InfoGuy Guest

Default Bats are back in the attic

Any ideas about how I can track down the source of this noise?

Problem - Each day at about 10 am and 10 - 12 pm there is a loud cracking or shredding sound that seems to be located in the same area in the attic. The noise begins at point by the SE interior & NE exterior wall corner of the ceiling and spreads inward across the ceiling. I have looked at the ceiling and at the conditions in the attic. I cannot see any indications of movement or anything loose or out of place. Areas of roof deck covered by foam insulation cannot be viewed.

The following is information about the house -

1. It is 18 months old.
    2. It has spray foam insulation (open cell) applied to walls and underside of roof deck (a sealed system).
    3. The temperature in the attic remains within 4 degrees of the interior of the house.
    4. The structure is typical for a framed house with brick exterior.
    5. The house is constructed on piers extended to bedrock on a slab.

Thank you for any help you can give me on finding the cause of this problem.
    IG

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Bats are back in the attic

Think thermal expansion. If so, as the temperature changes with the seasons, the time and intensitiy of the noise will vary.
    No idea how to fix it without seeing it or who to call, but an old cogger home inspector with lots of experience would be a good start.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I bet some of my distant Cherokee relatives are letting you know that you have built your home on their sacred burial grounds.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I bet some of my distant Cherokee relatives are letting you know that you have built your home on their sacred burial grounds.
    I was wondering if it could be just furnace ductwork, but an angry Cherokee in a hot attic sounds plausible.

Scott, did they throw you out of the clan because you look like you've already been scalped?

Just kidding. I'm a 5 minutes hair cut myself.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

InfoGuy Guest

Sorry Scott, the NotMees are at work here - the house was built by Chickasaws. My heritage is Blackfoot.