Stephen Clausen Guest

Default direct current under wall-cabinet lighting

18 watt bulb direct current system appears to fail and shut down individual units. I have changed bulbs but problem still occurs. could it be transformer burn out?
    Thanks, Steve

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: direct current under wall-cabinet lighting

No. If a winding in the transformer is burnt, there is no more light. It sounds like loose connections,and/or poor quality bulbs. Are they puck lights or other? Where is the power supply located? More info, please.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Stephen Clausen Guest

Thanks for replying John Kogel
    These are strip lights; several of them under wall cabinets switched from a wall switch. The bulbs are 18 watt friction fit types, same as for some landscape light applications. The short strips have 2 bulbs, the long strips have four bulbs.
    Thanks, Steve

The lights may have a thermal cut-out to prevent them from overheating.
    Do the lights come back on after a while?

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Stephen Clausen Guest

Yes, the lights do cycle on and off. They are Kichler brand and I have discovered that I do not have the recommended 10574 clear bulbs installed. Maybe the Feit xenon types are burning hotter? Where is the thermal shut-off?
    Thanks. Steve

Bad socket? Cracked or othewise?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I feel fairly confident that these are low voltage Alternating Current, not DC current! You can refer to the power supply, it should indicate quite plainly just what it is and is not. Hopefully it is correctly and appropriately located, and not overheating for example.

I don't know K to mfg battery powered, or a Direct Current low voltage wired system.

That could be the problem - i.e. wrong lamps, incorrect contacts. You might also be under lamped overall (i.e. oversized power supply for electricity "worked"). Further you mentioned a "wall switch"...lets hope this has been properly selected and integrated correctly for the "system".

If you've got a system designed for outdoor use only that might also be a problem.

There is an entire article dedicated to low voltage...Your first best resource is the Manufacturer of the SYSTEM's listed INSTRUCTIONS. Lamp substitutions are dicey if you don't understand the design of the system, its limitations, and its essential LISTED componants.

Normally, as a part of professional HI, HIs neither change tubes/bulbs/lamps nor trouble shoot DIY under the cabinet lighting, low or medium voltage. I expect you will later discover your topic post has been moved to the "Questions from Home Owners, Home Buyers and DIYers" section from the HI Technical area for Electrical Systems.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-02-2011 at 07:59 PM.