Maria Mello Guest

Default Removal of collar ties

I just removed the ceiling thinking that I would find a nice exposed rafters but found it has collar ties. Now I don't know if I can remove them or not. What should I do?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Stephen G Guest

Default Re: Removal of collar ties

Okay, gald you called.
    Now put the saw down and leave it there. The collar ties hold everything in, without them the walls could pop out from under the roof. What you are asking realy needs to be answered by an engineer, architect or designer. If you dont get proper assesment and signed, sealed delivered plans (building permit as well). Make the call first.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Mello View Post
    I just removed the ceiling thinking that I would find a nice exposed rafters but found it has collar ties. Now I don't know if I can remove them or not. What should I do?

Default Re: Removal of collar ties

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Mello View Post
    Unless the builder of your home was me (in which case the collar ties were redundant and installed solely to support a barrel ceiling) those ties are likely a structural part of your roof.

If you're in the market for a new roof, it's possible an engineer can design a retrofit to make the collar ties unnecessary. This typically involves a ridge beam to carry the load and ridge straps for wind mitigation. Because collar ties were sometimes used to allow construction with smaller sized rafters than would be required in a cathedral ceiling, you might find even this isn't possible with your current structure.

One thing I can assure you of is that it won't be cheap.