edge 130 Guest

Default NM for slide-in dual fuel range

The dual fuel range has gas burners on top, but the oven is electric.
    Can I run a continuous 8/3 nm cable from my panelboard, securely fasten it along floor joists, and then run it up a drilled hole located in the floor at the very rear of the range floor space just infront of the back sheetrock wall.?
    It would come through the hole, coil about 3 feet behind the stove and enter the stoves junction box with an mn connector?

Slide in stoves don't get pushed back all the way in. There is about a 2" space from the sheetrock wall to the back of the stove.

My contention, back there , it would be physically protected.
    The CB would be used as a disconnecting means and if needed a CB lockout tagout device could be used to safely disconnect the power if the stove needs to be serviced.

Tring to get away from the large bulky plug & receptacle.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: NM for slide-in dual fuel range

Do the installation instructions indicate that the stove should be plugged into a stove receptacle rather hard wired?

Two inches may not be deep enough to accommodate the plug and receptacle as you indicate.

edge 130 Guest

You can wire either way.

My concern was it proper to come up through floor without a box and coil about 3 feet of the nm cable and connect directly into the ranges electriacal j-box w/nm connector.

Or do I have to come into a box on the floor, lets say, strip the outer sheath and come out of the box with the wires inside a length of greenfield.

Or (sorry) Is a plug & receptacle required?

Thanks

As I already pointed out refer to the manufactures installation instructions.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

In accordance with its listing and approvals and the region's codes, any more restrictive provision must be followed.

Both the connection/disconnection and the gas appliance connector and valve, accessible and able to be inspected/accessed.

What you "can" do we aren't able to assess. What you "may do" is covered by both the electrical (appliance) areas and the gas codes. A "slide in" range is not a "built in" range nor a "wall oven" nor a drop in "cook top".

Don't forget your anti-tip provisions and your clearances open air and combustible surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    A "slide in" range is not a "built in" range nor a "wall oven" nor a drop in "cook top".
    A "slide in" range indicates to me that it is not a "free standing" range as I suspect you are thinking "slide in" is referring to.

The "slide in" ranges I have seen rest on the countertop and "slide into" a notched in the countertop and the cabinets, typically there is a cabinet drawer below the "slide in" range. Once the "slide in" range is slid in, it is screwed into place and becomes a "built in" range the same as a drop in cook top and a wall oven becomes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

typically there is a cabinet drawer below the "slide in" range.

That would be a "drop in " range, looks a lot like a slide in. The "slide in" sits on the floor or on it's own support. A "drop in" needs a cabinet, drawer, or whatever, for a base.

Dom.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    A "slide in" range indicates to me that it is not a "free standing" range as I suspect you are thinking "slide in" is referring to.

The "slide in" ranges I have seen rest on the countertop and "slide into" a notched in the countertop and the cabinets, typically there is a cabinet drawer below the "slide in" range. Once the "slide in" range is slid in, it is screwed into place and becomes a "built in" range the same as a drop in cook top and a wall oven becomes.
    Nope. A slide-in range is a floor supported appliance and is listed and discussed as such in the standards and codes.

there is typically a spot at the base of slide in ranges that allow for the gas and electric supplies so even though the range is 2-3" away from the wall, there is a good 6-8" of space where cord and plug and gas connections can tuck under.