Larry Hood Guest

Smile Carpet Installation

I am planning on installing carpet at existing sheet vinyl areas.The vinyl is in pretty good shape and has no cuts or air bubbles that I can find. Is it a good or bad idea to leave the vinyl in place and install the carpet over and save the cost of removing and preparing the slab??

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Carpet Installation

I personally see no issue.
    The tile probably lasts longer than the carpet.

the sheet vinyl will act as a vapour barrier, but an underlay would still cushion the foot traffic as well as help insulate from a cold floor.

Boyd Ross Hall Guest

Since slabs are prone to cracking as the home settles your sheet vinyl can act as a vapor/ moisture barrier and this may extend the life of the carpet.

On the other hand, spills or pet accidents may present a big problem. If the vinyl is left down, the isolated slab will not be able to wick any of the moisture. Then the pad stays wet until you or nature extracts the spill. This could perminently stain the pad and carpet . This is the type of stain that seems to vanish when shampoed, then reappears a couple of days after you return the Rug Doctor.

How many children or pets are enjoying this area? That may help you decide whether to pull the vinyl or leave it. I believe there's probably a good reason you don't see any vinyl backed carpet pad producers or installers.

If it were me, I'd pull it up.

Cutting corners leads you in circles

Boyd, there are 2 sides to evey coin and leaving the vinyl down has it pro's and cons too. if lifted up yes the concrete can wick away the spills and possible pee but sometimes the concrete absorbs the liquid but not the smell as in removing it. I have seen at times when dog or cat pee is an issue and the carpet has to be torn up and the concrete treated too to remove the smell. proper cleaning and drying needs to be done to remove stains. doing half the job doesn't mean it was done right the second time either

I will add some more to the subject from the EPA.

The most common place for mold growth is beneath carpet, behind drywall and behind insulation. Basement mold grows directly on the concrete floor, cinder block, brick or concrete walls and beneath pipe insulation.

Generally it is best to leave old floors that are glued down alone! The possibilities that the floor or the glue contains materials that will be toxic are great. Vinyl flooring prior to 1992 may contain asbestos, vinyl flooring prior to 1978 almost certainly does and in between who knows. If the vinyl is down and intact leave it if there are damaged areas patch them prior to laying the fuzzy stuff.

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/