Default correct wire attachment to breaker?

Is this the proper way to attach the wire to this particular CH breaker? it is under the screw - shouldn't it be under a pressure plate? Also the stranded aluminum wire is coming from a some type of transformer on the side of the panel - wire seems too small for a 15 amp breaker - already reported to have licensed and insured electrician evaluate because of other issues. Thanks for any feedback

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: correct wire attachment to breaker?

The transformer is likely for the doorbell. Small stranded wire is typical. They are usually double-tapped on any handy 15 amp breaker, so you have an exception there.

I don't recognize the breaker. Some just use a big screw head. If the wire goes in on the left side, tightening the screw clockwise pulls the wire in - correct. What's the age of the house?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

house was built in 1926 - obviously the electrical was updated probably sometime in the 70's - there is still some live knob and tube. These are cutler hammer breakers and panel - just doesn't seem like a good connection.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    The transformer is likely for the doorbell. Small stranded wire is typical. They are usually double-tapped on any handy 15 amp breaker, so you have an exception there.

I don't recognize the breaker. Some just use a big screw head. If the wire goes in on the left side, tightening the screw clockwise pulls the wire in - correct. What's the age of the house?
    What exception? Poster is in NY.

Is this service equipment?

this is the main panel for the house

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    In my area, usually a junction box is mounted in the garage at 6 feet or higher and the transformer is attached to the box. The other most common area is a box in the crawlspace near the entrance. They are never double tapped to a handy 15 amp breaker.

Gosh, you crazy cannucks do some weird things.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

I can't speak for John, but I assume he meant that is was an exception from the norm, because they DIDN'T double tap the doorbell transformer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    In my area, usually a junction box is mounted in the garage at 6 feet or higher and the transformer is attached to the box. The other most common area is a box in the crawlspace near the entrance. They are never double tapped to a handy 15 amp breaker.

Gosh, you crazy cannucks do some weird things.
    No, newer construction, we usually see the transformer put in the garage or high up in a closet, just like you. But if it is attached to the side of the panel, the way oldtimers did it, then it is OFTEN double-tapped, and there are authorities here who still allow it.
    The person who wired the OP's panel has dedicated an available breaker just for the doorbell. That is the only reason I used the word 'exception'. It is not a code exception, pardon me.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca