Default SEC Clearance over roof

I came across a service entrance cable today that went over the pitch of a roof. I know that if the pitch is equal to or greater than a 4/12 then the cabe only needs to clear the ridge by 3 feet minimum. This was close. My question is can it be supported, and if so, is this picture an acceptable support. It is a bent piece of metal tubing. The cable ran through a glass insulator at the top. Your expertise is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: SEC Clearance over roof

Although you haven't correctly identified the concerning service wires nor provided the essential applicable information, No the limited area pictured and as further limited description provided is not correct.

The NEC and NESC prescribe minimum clearances for service wires. What may have been ammended in your jurisdiction regarding prescriptions, both from the utility, and state/local ammendments to both NEC and NESC, I have not bothered to research for you, since all that has been provided is "Oregon".

The attached for your perusal, are an example with referenced prescriptions for this utility region encompasing three states one with different requirements, which may or may not be similar in your locale, which may have additional and/or different considerations in what is prescribed.

Attached Files Attached Files

Short answer no it is not acceptable in Canada or usa. tell the client that the electrical service wires need to be relocated and done properly by someone whom is licenced to do so. I would think if the power company did see this they would shut it down right away. Also I am surprized the meter reader hasn't reported it but maybe he can't see it or is blind...lol

In addition to the other objections cited, the utility requires that the service entrance be located on the side of the building closest to the utility transformer, and within 10 feet from the front of the building. The rear of a residence tends to be fenced, and therefore, the meter base (service entrance) must be located near the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Roberts View Post
    In addition to the other objections cited, the utility requires that the service entrance be located on the side of the building closest to the utility transformer, and within 10 feet from the front of the building. The rear of a residence tends to be fenced, and therefore, the meter base (service entrance) must be located near the front.

Jim,
    Is this a Utah utility requirement ?

Depending on which jurisdiction the depicted installation is located, if installed by the POCO, it may be allowable, however; if installed by an electrician/homeowner, etc. it is not allowed. Overhead service cables are under the authority of the utility as they are located before the point of attachment to the property. As an electrical inspector, I am not allowed to question an installation on the utility's side of the equation. In most jurisdictions, electricians/homeowners would be forbidden from modifying that which belongs to the POCO.

Looks good to me. I particularly like the creative use of what looks like EMT, you don't see that everyday. Plus, as an added bonus, they've made a penetration through the roof that will likely allow for water infiltration and the slow rotting of the roof deck.

I've been thinking about writing a "home equity calculator" that takes DIY modifications and determines the amount of negative equity it produces for the home.

Service mast/support is improperly supported. Sometimes you just have to use your common sense not get too into code. Can't see other side of roof so this could be a support that leads to mast at rear. Either way it could easily fall.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    This was close.
    That was close? With or without the support?

I suspect that would be laying on the roof if not supported like that.

My question is can it be supported, and if so, is this picture an acceptable support.
    Yes (but it is not allowed to be supported with anything like that), and no (that photo is of one way to kill oneself).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

If it shorted that support would become a red hot poker and probably blow a hole through the roof before it ignited it.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com