Tom Johnson Guest

Default Question for Florida

I am brand new. How to you handle attics here in the summer?? How much time do you spend in them? I was a cable installer as a kid and am third generation cracker. I can take the heat. But how do you handle coming out of the 140 F soaking wet and go on with the rest of the inspection?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Question for Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Johnson View Post
    I am brand new. How to you handle attics here in the summer?? How much time do you spend in them? I was a cable installer as a kid and am third generation cracker. I can take the heat. But how do you handle coming out of the 140 F soaking wet and go on with the rest of the inspection?
    I lived in Florida for 14 years. I now live in Texas

I have a change of clothes in my truck at all times, including now where it is much cooler.

As far as how long to stay in them it depends on exactly how hot and humid it is. I have told clients in person and followed up in the report that the attic inspection was very brief due to the conditions and the inspection was extremely limited. I have opened up a hatch or pulled down the stairs and the heat rolling out due to no ventilation was 150 degrees. I point my IR thermometer into the attic and take a picture of it. If I leave the attic opened a while and if the reading is still way up there I just don't go because the inspection would be far too limited to even bother doing.

You stay up there as long as it's safe to be there, and to find the items your looking for. Each attic is different.

Carry lots of polo shirts (summer time = 5-6 shirts/day, 2-3 shirts /job)
    Carry lots of water.

I use a Chiller Vest when necessary, but it's restrictive and makes the normally gymnastic twisting and bending even harder.

When in doubt, follow your instincts and don't dawdle.

Dom.

A good digital camera is invaluable. I take a lot of fast photos and in an order so when I review them later I can assemble the home visually and find thing later that I may have not seen during a fast look around.

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/