Default What's this metal thing around floor perimeter?

Here we have a metal thingy with little metal posts sticking up, bordering the area around the little entry area. What the heck is it for? Some kind of raised platform?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What's this metal thing around floor perimeter?

looks like they are tied downs for something. are they achored to the floor? something must have been removed and the were too lazy to remove them. unless you still want them there I would remove them and then you might find out why they were there. could have been something simple like a shelf that they didn't want tipping.

Daniel Mummey Guest

Question Re: What's this metal thing around floor perimeter?

Why that's exactly what it appears to be, a metal thingy. You reported it correctly. You wouldn't have entry clearance if it supported a platform. These brackets could have been, or were planned to have been, anchors for a floor-to-ceiling shelving system? That's my best guess, at this moment, late tonight.

My guess is that the previous homeowner installed the tile floor, probably is involved in metal works in some capacity and decided to make his own base shoe! The pins are for decoration!

hitchin post for pet harness'

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

What the $%^^&&. I'm going with Daniel, some kind of shelving system. In one picture it lokks like patches in wall where they were secured. Just a guess. Let us know if you find out.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

I got money on my suggestion! I bet if you remove a piece you will have a gap!

I like Barry's idea. It would be the perfect area for it.

I hadn't thought of the door clearance problem. The thingy follows the whole base shoe in an area by the front door which is separated from the rest of the room by a knee wall. The area has vinyl, the rest of the room is hardwood.

I just occurred to me that this was the same house that has a plate of 1/8" solid brass across a 4' bathroom vanity. I'm pretty sure the thing is solid brass. It must have held some thing, but the area is too small for shelving. Either a decorative base shoe or a brass plate across the whole 3X5 area. I just like that idea. Come to think of it, there was a slightly thinner brass piece with no pegs at the threshold of this area. I'd assumed it was just a too-high threshold, but maybe it bore that end of the plate.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Kristi Silber; 11-11-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Stephen G Guest

Pic one (1) looks like 1 inch stock with stainless steel dowel pins protruding up from the ends. It looks like an old vinyl floor. This was used as a weight to hold them down. Maybe they screwed down...

Pic two (2) pretty big tiles in an old home with rot showing at the door jam, so its not tile its vinyl as well and this guy continued with his theme using flat stock he scored from work.

And left it there,

ps

call out those pins, would be a trip fall hazzard....

And here's the sink. I guess it's 6'.

No, wasn't stainless. I'm pretty sure it's brass. I work with metal. Both photos show the same floor. I think the dark area of the floor jamb is just dirt or unpainted area, not rot. Could be that it's to hold down the vinyl. maybe they broke the base shoe when installing the flooring. That wouldn't explain the pegs though.

Looks like water hardning drill rod to me. I thinks that it is a water detection device for the krawl,... the owner can do a monthly brinell test on them and if they havn't gotten any harder,... well, he knows it's still dry and the krwal hasn't overheated.

Please tell me that's a FAKE turd on the wall ledge. Ew.

--Welmoed

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    Please tell me that's a FAKE turd on the wall ledge. Ew.

--Welmoed
    LOL...Nice Catch! that is exactly what that looks like...I would include that in my report

Yep, fake turd...looks a little too much like a pretzel for my comfort!

Hmmm, water hardening drill rod...will have to look into this more for curiosity sake, though in this instance seems a stretch.