Default Foundation bolts

Okay I have been looking for some thoughts on these bolts. They have chiseled the sill plate to get the bolt and washer on. This is in western Washington so we have some seismic considerations
    I know that they are not installed with proper height but would like some of your thoughts on this particular installation.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Don Hester; 11-07-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: did not attach files
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Default Re: Foundation bolts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hester View Post
    Okay I have been looking for some thoughts on these bolts. They have chiseled the sill plate to get the bolt and washer on. This is in western Washington so we have some seismic considerations
    I know that they are not installed with proper height but would like some of your thoughts on this particular installation.
    Well Don, I'm not an engineer, but I play one on TV

In general, most earthquake movement is lateral, not vertical. As a result, the chiseled mudsill is less of a problem than a notched mudsill. However, if there are more than one or two, it would add up and become a problem. In addition, the type of nuts indicate an older home. Older homes can benefit from additional seismic retrofitting.

All of that would be off the record, because I am not an engineer and not qualified to supply a professional opinion. On the record, I would note the condition and defer to an engineer.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/