Default Water Softener Cross Connection?

If the water softener's backwash discharge hose extends down into a sump pit enough to possibly be immersed, does that constitute a cross connection? I'm not familiar enough with these units to know for sure, but it sure doesn't look right. The clear PEX tube in the photo is the backwash discharge hose from the water softener. Thanks a lot for your help with this.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Water Softener Cross Connection?

Well, think about the other end of that PEX tube and what its connected to. What happens when the sump pit fills and the tube draws water back towards the softener? I don't want to drink that cocktail.

Attached Files Attached Files

The softener discharge into the sump pit should have an air gap so that no water can be drawn back up from the sump.

Put the discharge up above the rim of the sump pit so that the discharge tube never comes in contact with the water in the sump.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Well, think about the other end of that PEX tube and what its connected to. What happens when the sump pit fills and the tube draws water back towards the softener? I don't want to drink that cocktail.
    That's exactly what I was thinking about. I just wasn't familiar with the innards of a water softener enough to know whether or not adequate safeguards might have been built into the unit. Even if they had been, I think I'd still raise that discharge end a good distance above the sump pit. Thanks a lot for the quick response. I can always count on the members of this forum for good and timely information.

Mike

That looks like one of those times where it's easier just to put things right and not have to explain the goofy thing.
    Pull the hose up or cut a chunk off and move on. I'm not telling anybody how to do their job, though.

I usually recommend they buy a spare sump pump, preferably a battery powered one, for a couple hundred bucks, cheaper than insurance.
    Also there are cheap alarms they can install.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Post Re: Water Softener Cross Connection?

Definitely a hazard. There must be an air gap at the discharge. This applies to any appliance or system that handles waste and potable water. Good call.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com