Default Re: 8 Unexpected Factors That Can Threaten Your Home Sale.

I'll save everyone from wasting their time:

According to Nick Gromicko the top 8 unexpected factors that can threaten the sale of a home are:

mold
    asbestos
    underground oil tanks
    lead paint
    unsafe stairwells
    radon
    problems in the attic
    overhanging tree branches

Good thing he offers free online certification and continuing education for each and every one of these issues. I should renew my "Problems in the Attic" Certification right away.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

I think the gist of the article was to promote seller's inspections.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    I think the gist of the article was to promote seller's inspections.
    A general home inspection is not going to include environmental hazards like these.
    In fact the Nachi SOP states:

2.2. Exclusions:
    I. The inspector is not required to determine:
    1. property boundary lines or encroachments.
    2. the condition of any component or system that is not readily accessible.
    3. the service life expectancy of any component or system.
    4. the size, capacity, BTU, performance or efficiency of any component or system.
    5. the cause or reason of any condition.
    6. the cause for the need of repair or replacement of any system or component.
    7. future conditions.
    8. compliance with codes or regulations.
    9. the presence of evidence of rodents, animals or insects.
    10. the presence of mold, mildew, fungus or toxic drywall.
    11. the presence of airborne hazards.
    12. the presence of birds.
    13. the presence of other flora or fauna.
    14. the air quality.
    15. the existence of asbestos.
    16. the existence of environmental hazards.
    17. the existence of electromagnetic fields.
    18. the presence of hazardous materials including, but not limited to, the presence of lead in paint.
    19. any hazardous waste conditions.
    20. any manufacturers' recalls or conformance with manufacturer installation, or any information included for consumer protection purposes.
    21. operating costs of systems.
    22. replacement or repair cost estimates.
    23. the acoustical properties of any systems.
    24. estimates of the cost to operate any given system.
    So why is Nick telling sellers to get an inspection when his own inspectors are not required to report on the majority of these conditions?

Ken, that SOP is for general home inspections. "General home inspections" are but one of many types of inspection services InterNACHI members offer. See Inspector Locator

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 11-12-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Thanks Lisa...

Awesome article.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    I'll save everyone from wasting their time:

According to Nick Gromicko the top 8 unexpected factors that can threaten the sale of a home are:

mold
    asbestos
    underground oil tanks
    lead paint
    unsafe stairwells
    radon
    problems in the attic
    overhanging tree branches

Good thing he offers free online certification and continuing education for each and every one of these issues. I should renew my "Problems in the Attic" Certification right away.
    Ken,

No need to apply.
    Since you know everything, there is nothing left for you to learn.

Nope, I don't know everything. But I do know you don't call a general home inspector to determine if you have:
    Mold
    asbestos
    high radon
    underground oil tanks, or other hazardous materials
    lead based paint

Sure, Nick might issue quick and easy online certification for some of these things, but they aren't worth the paper they're printed on. (just like the Nachi quick and easy inspector certification).
    Just another smoke and mirrors campaign by Nick.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 11-12-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Ken perhaps file your vague complaint about our robust inspection training with one of the numerous agencies that have awarded InterNACHI's courses over 800 government approvals and accreditations.

Maybe you can convince them that they've made a mistake, 800 times. LOL.

And maybe you should consider getting a real certification, not one based on passing a beginner's exam used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 11-12-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

And maybe you should consider getting a real certification, not one based on passing a beginner's exam used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school.
    Yep, that same beginner's exam which you're afraid to mandate to certify your inspectors, because you know most won't pass it. That same beginners exam which is an industry minimum standard which nachi fails to meet.

Tell us again Lisa, how many states requiring licensing except only a Nachi certification with no other requirements? Heck even the cities of Minneapolis and St Paul won't accept nachi certification for their Truth in Housing inspectors, but they do accept ASHI and Nahi certifications.

After you're done answering my first question please answer this one; You claim to have over 800 government approvals and accreditation for online courses. Please tell us who accredited your home inspector certification? Seems to me that your courses can have all the approvals and accreditation in the world, but if your basic certification isn't accredited it really doesn't matter.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 11-12-2011 at 09:27 PM.

That's it? Some city-level loan program accepts ASHI with no other requirements? That's your big list? Just one? LOL!

I refer you to the right column of Inspector Education and Training - InterNACHI

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 11-12-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Yep, that same beginner's exam which you're afraid to mandate to certify your inspectors, because you know most won't pass it. That same beginners exam which is an industry minimum standard which nachi fails to meet.

Tell us again Lisa, how many states requiring licensing except only a Nachi certification with no other requirements? Heck even the cities of Minneapolis and St Paul won't accept nachi certification for their Truth in Housing inspectors, but they do accept ASHI and Nahi certifications.

After you're done answering my first question please answer this one; You claim to have over 800 government approvals and accreditation for online courses. Please tell us who accredited your home inspector certification? Seems to me that your courses can have all the approvals and accreditation in the world, but if your basic certification isn't accredited it really doesn't matter.
    The ASHI Exam???
    send me your email and I will send you a copy...

Not loan programs. They have to have these inspections in order to even list the homes for sale. I work in the Twin Cities so they're the only ones I have first hand knowledge of. I'm sure there are quite a few more. There were over 16,000 homes sold in Minneapolis and St Paul last year. That means 16,000 inspections nachi inspectors did not qualify for last year alone, in one metropolitan market.

You must have mistakenly given me the improper link. I asked how many states (which require licensing) accept only nachi certification for licensing? You provided a link showing how numerous states accept 145 hours of online quizzes, courses and exams in addition to nachi certification. It also shows a bunch of continuing educations items, but nothing to do with my original question.

You also failed to answer may last question so I'll post it again; Please tell us who accredited your home inspector certification?

Ken, I just checked into your list (one long, LOL!) of agencies that accept ASHI membership with "no other requirements."

Turns out that the one city program you mention doesn't even require membership in ASHI. I guess you were wrong.

And there are "other requirements." The program requires a certain amount of education, a special exam that the city offers, general liability insurance, E&O insurance, a licensing fee, and special training that the city offers, etc. I thought you said there were "no other requirements other than ASHI membership? I guess you were wrong about that too.

So it appears your big long list of one, is now zero. LOL!

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Ken, I just checked into your list (one long, LOL!) of agencies that accept ASHI membership with "no other requirements."

Turns out that the one city program you mention doesn't even require membership in ASHI.
    So it appears your big long list of one, is now zero. LOL!
    amazing
    I am shocked...

Ken, as for your question about approval of our "basic home inspection certification," we don't have only one. Each state or province has approved different InterNACHI pre-licensing program certifications for different license types.

Here are a few examples which highlight how different each one is.

In Alberta for a home inspector license, the government accepts InterNACHI's 202-hour program and InterNACHI two proctored exams, proctored by InterNACHI. Alberta approves InterNACHI.

In Florida for a home inspector license, the government accepts InterNACHI's 120-hour program which is 80 hours of InterNACHI's online courses and 40 hours of hands-on, in-field training. Florida approves InterNACHI. They also accept InterNACHI's Construction Industry's Licensing Board-approved Wind Mitigation Inspection course for wind mitigation inspections which is an ancillary insurance inspection in Florida.

In North Dakota for a home inspector license, the government merely requires and accepts the passing of InterNACHI's initial membership entrance exam.

Individual cities each have different requirements also. For example, in the City of Toledo, the government merely requires and accepts membership in InterNACHI.

Agencies also have different requirements for ancillary inspections too. For example, the U.S. EPA accepts InterNACHI's Lead Safe Certified certification which is a 6 hour online course from InterNACHI and 2 hours of classroom training from InterNACHI.

These are just a few examples. I can go on and on, but you get the idea. In the same way Universities don't administer only one degree program, InterNACHI doesn't offer only one government-approved certification program.

I hope that helps clarify things for you.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 11-12-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

I am just gonna add that considering the inner goings on within Nachi, particularly the ESOP and the flaunting of the rules, Nachi is what its always been a Joke!

And that is exactly why its never going to be recognized for anything other than a education mart.

I think you are too late Ray. InterNACHI is recognized in over 60 countries as the biggest and the best inspection trade association in the world. We have 590 members in your province of Ontario alone. Try to keep it real.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Ken, I just checked into your list (one long, LOL!) of agencies that accept ASHI membership with "no other requirements."!
    Wrong again Lisa. I never said the cities of Minneapolis or St Paul had no other requirements. What I said was: "Heck even the cities of Minneapolis and St Paul won't accept nachi certification for their Truth in Housing inspectors, but they do accept ASHI and Nahi certifications." The documentation to prove my point is right here, http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/ccs/...nts%202009.pdf

Minneapolis requires one of the following before you're even allowed to take the licensing exam...no mention of nachi whatsoever.
    • Minnesota State Building Official
    • Minnesota State Building Official-Limited
    • IRC Residential Combination Inspector
    • IRC Residential Building Inspector
    • IRC Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector
    • NAHI-CRI ( Take the Exam)
    • ASHI –National Home Inspector (National Home Inspector Examination - The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors )

Turns out that the one city program you mention doesn't even require membership in ASHI. I guess you were wrong.
    I never said any required membership in ASHI. I said ASHI was accepted as a prerequisite, while nachi isn't.

And there are "other requirements." The program requires a certain amount of education, a special exam that the city offers, general liability insurance, E&O insurance, a licensing fee, and special training that the city offers, etc. I thought you said there were "no other requirements other than ASHI membership? I guess you were wrong about that too.
    Yes, there are other requirements. But a prospective TISH inspector who shows up to take the licensing test with only a nachi certification will be turned away. But an ASHI certification will allow them to take the licensing test.

In Alberta for a home inspector license, the government accepts InterNACHI's 202-hour program and InterNACHI two proctored exams, proctored by InterNACHI.
    So Alberta realizes that the basic nachi certification isn't good enough so they require proctored exams.

In Florida for a home inspector license, the government accepts InterNACHI's 120-hour program which is 80 hours of InterNACHI's online courses and 40 hours of hands-on, in-field training.
    So Florida realizes that basic nachi certification is worthless and requires an additional 120 hours of training.

So out of your list, only North Dakota and the City of Toledo accept nachi certification as good enough to perform home inspections. Wow, that's impressive.

They're our courses they are recognizing! Read the right column of How to become a home inspector: Free Inspector Education and Training - InterNACHI I think you'll find over 800 government approvals.

Your lone example shows that ASHI is NOT accepted without further requirements. You conveniently redacted your post and erased this from the St. Paul website
    "NOTE: You are not required to join any association in order to meet this requirement."
    I took that quote right from their website this morning. You can't even get ASHI approved without further requirements for some city program.

Face it, Ken Rowe, you belong to a known diploma mill that has ZERO entrance requirements and worse, uses the same beginners exam used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school for their highest certification.

You can't name a single agency that accepts ASHI certification for licensing without any further requirements. You got close with some city program, but they only use ASHI membership as one form of evidence of passing an exam which is no longer even theirs, and don't require you to even be a member. LOL!

This is getting embarrassing. I don't have the heart to pound you into the ground any longer.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 11-13-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

This is getting embarrassing. I don't have the heart to pound you into the ground any longer.

Yes, it is "Lisa"...Embarrassing for you.

How can a "Director of Communication" for any entity speak so unprofessionally in a publicly viewed forum?

I only posted a news article about the inspection industry in a forum titled Inspection News From Around The Net. Read the thread slower to see who took it off topic with his "Wait, wait, you may have over 800 government approvals, but I know of a city program that doesn't actually require membership in my association" silliness.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 11-13-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

They're our courses they are recognizing!
    I didn't ask for "recognized" courses. I asked for you to provide documentation as to who recognizes nachi certification. You know, the certification a person gets for taking your non-proctored, 50 question quiz which grades on spelling.

Your lone example shows that ASHI is NOT accepted without further requirements.
    Read the list of recognized associations certification again..
    .• Minnesota State Building Official
    • Minnesota State Building Official-Limited
    • IRC Residential Combination Inspector
    • IRC Residential Building Inspector
    • IRC Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector
    • NAHI-CRI
    • ASHI –National Home Inspector
    You're welcome to argue all you want. ASHI certification is acceptable for entrance into the exam, nachi is not. Yes, a licensing test is required to be passed, and further training is provided. But nachi certification is not recognized to be able to take the test, any one of the others, including ASHI is.

You conveniently redacted your post and erased this from the St. Paul website I took that quote right from their website this morning.
    Yes, that's me, a super hacker who can hack the City of St Paul's website and erase a requirement for TISH inspectors.

Face it, Ken Rowe, you belong to a known diploma mill that has ZERO entrance requirements and worse, uses the same beginners exam used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school for their highest certification.
    No Lisa, I don't belong to nachi. Besides, nachi doesn't use a beginner's exam for certification. They don't use an exam at all. I actually belong to an association (note I said association, not a company owned by an individual, that doesn't hand out certifications to someone based on their ability to spell. To be an ASHI Certified Inspector I had to pass the National Home Inspectors Exam. Yes, the same exam recognized by numerous states and government agencies as the minimum requirement for home inspectors. I had to show competency in 250 inspections. I have to maintain a minimum of 20 hours of continuing education each year. I've been audited 5 times now. How many nachi inspectors have ever been audited for continuing education credits? ASHI has the only certification process verified by an independent third party. Again I'll ask you, who verifies nachi "certification"?

You can't name a single agency that accepts ASHI certification for licensing without any further requirements.
    Sorry Lisa, but I'm not about to go through every state or cities requirements for you. But, I can tell you that in Minneapolis and St Paul a nachi certification won't even allow a person to take the test, but an ASHI certification, or even a prior certification without current membership, will.

Sorry Lisa, but I'm not about to go through every state or cities requirements for you. But, I can tell you that in Minneapolis and St Paul a nachi certification won't even allow a person to take the test, but an ASHI certification, or even a prior certification without current membership, will.
    I take that to mean you have one approval to our 800. Maybe that scoreboard means it's time to leave the stadium before the game is over so as to beat the traffic? LOL!

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Read the thread slower to see who took it off topic ...

Try taking the high road once in a awhile, after-all you do represent a large association, don't you? Try acting the part, you may get more respect.

Maybe that scoreboard means it's time to leave the stadium before the game is over so as to beat the traffic? LOL!
    Nick uh I mean Lisa.. Don't go anywhere. The public and new inspectors deserve to see what your, pay for any instant certification club, is really all about.

The more members I talk to from your wanttabe club, there are several of them starting to realize their customers are visiting their HI org chat board, and are finding those poential customers are calling other inspectors because they want professionals that are experienced, and not wanting new logos , free crap, free training, and instant on-line certifications their customers can also buy.

Many of those members are also turned off by your chat boards main topics of selling crap, people raping and killing animals and other people, obama, abortions, name calling of others in this profession , and other crap on their chat board that is open to the public.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 11-13-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

I take that to mean you have one approval to our 800. Maybe that scoreboard means it's time to leave the stadium before the game is over so as to beat the traffic? LOL!
    No, that means I'm and actual Certified Inspector. Something nachi doesn't even offer.

I found this online, thought it was fitting.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 11-13-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

This is regrettable when you can't provide and dispute facts instead you provide a link to a credible association.

Strange that Nachi would state it has no complaints, yet if this is the case why would J. Farsetta set up an ADR program for home inspectors? After all he is targeting members of Nachi.

Why would he be the ESOP chair for Nachi. Or why for instance is he on the CMI board, as Ethics Director of CMI organization?

I don't think the consumer can have any confidence in Nachi, and I don't think you are here providing them confidence in hiring Nachi inspectors.

Ray, I have no clue about ADR. I never heard of it. Sorry.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

The bickering reminds me of when I was married. I (each of us) always wanted to get in the last word, as if that made gave credance to our position.

We all have our opinions on each of the organizations (I prefer to keep my opinion to myself), but if I was a client, and read this thread, I would think both sides were childish.

" My daddy can beat up your daddy"
    "So what, so can my mommy"

I know of good inspectors that are members of each organization, and I've also walked in after inspectors from both organizations that have made me wonder what their purpose was.

As far as certifications, my impression of a "certification" has dropped. In my opinion, most certifications offed by most organizations are nothing more than a marketing device to do nothing more than lure in an unknowing client, and assure the client of absolutely nothing.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Here in Nevada you have to take the test set by the state and it not the same one used in any other state. They are pretty strict here. I don't know about other states but here the only ASHI education recognized for CEU's us the Inspection World. There are several allowed from NACHI and that was one of the reasons I joined. I can get all my required CEU's there except for the couple hours of law I need. I spoke to Nick about it and he jumped on his computer and sent an e-mail to his contact at the state to see about being able to offer that for us here in NV. I can't ask for much more. It's cheaper to join NACHI than it is to be a Affiliated member for a year at the local Realtor Association.
    http://red.state.nv.us/ios/ios_ce_2011.pdf

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

Sorry you need to put up with the same uneducated several that post here every time you try and teach them Lisa.
    It was great meeting you in Vegas at the convention .

I always wonder what the clients think of these guys with all the negative energy.

At least the bright ones listen!

Some simply have no desire to increase their knowledge of the industry and instead blame associations,laws,and others for their failures.

Will be getting more CE classes this Thursday thanks to the well known and respected NACHI Chicago with many members of other associations there to learn and test in Structural systems.

Hope to see both ASHI and NACHI members there as many have duel memberships because they are not ignorant and wish to learn.

Here is the info for those that are successful and wish to stay that way.

NACHI Chicago - An Organization of Licensed and Certified Chicago Area Home Inspectors

NACHI Chicago Presents State of Illinois 6 Hour CE Class: Structure for the Home Inspector
    Structure for Home Inspectors
    November 17th, Check-in at 3:00 PM.
    This is a general survey course covering structure inspections. It will cover the terminology, types of residential structures, concrete formulations and history, the science of crack evaluation and cover some interesting structural defects seen and how to report them.
    This class will provide 6 hours of Illinois State CE Credit, 6 hours of InterNACHI CE Best Western
    4400 Frontage Rd
    Hillside IL 60162
    708-544-9300
    Chicago Chapter Members $ 50.00
    INTERNACHI Member $ 60.00
    Non= Nachi Members $ 70.00
    The course will be offered on a first-come, first served basis and registration at the door cannot be guaranteed, given space constraints.
    Pay pal provides a space for messages. Please enter you NACHI membership number in this space.
    For questions about payment or registration Contact Jeff Merritt 773-457-4542

Sorry you need to put up with the same uneducated several that post here every time you try and teach them Lisa.
    Teach what that Nachi is nothing more then an educational venue?

I always wonder what the clients think of these guys with all the negative energy.
    Keep on wondering, the same statement could be asked about the public and lack of ethics and decorum on the Nachi site, where pretty much anything goes, where a few have special status.

At least the bright ones listen!
    Yes and bright ones can see the vastness in difference in how an association is run.

Some simply have no desire to increase their knowledge of the industry and instead blame associations,laws,and others for their failures.
    What? How do you come to that conclusion based on posts and comments by individuals. You don't know how others educate themselves, whether it be on forums, seminars, conferences, teaching, lecturing. Whose failures? Failure to recognize that your touted association has a credibility problem?

Hope to see both ASHI and NACHI members there as many have duel memberships because they are not ignorant and wish to learn.
    Yes and that's a broad brush you use to cast aspersions that those are ignorant who you think are not learning based on their observations and first hand experience.

Oh well to each their own, but opinions based on ignorance itself is no excuse to imply that your opinion is right or that others are wrong considering once again the activities which take place on your vaunted association discussion board.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Com-on now Ray.
    You have more posts on the NACHI forum than you do here.

Your buddies here can still see the Canada section as guests you know..
    Enough said.

Have not seen you post over there in a couple weeks however.

So what!