Cornish Home Inspections Guest

Talking How do you inspect snow & ice covered roof covering?

Snow will be here soon (MI), and the roof covering is part of a home/building inspection. How do you inspect this system? Come back in the Spring, no I don't think so. This system can not be inspected. Our company policy is (if safe), make it to the eave, and sweep with a broom 2 or 3 areas to identify the materials, approx. age and condition. It is cleared declared: " Roof system could not be inspected due to snow & ice coverage."
    How do you handle this matter?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: How do you inspect snow & ice covered roof covering?

I report that the roof is snow covered, therefore no assessment can be made.
    Inquiries of the vendor should be made as to age of shingles, and whether or not there have been issues such as leakage, damage, repairs. Seek warranty from vendor.

I do not sweep off any area to assess. Since one is only brushing a small section one is only guessing the state of the rest of the roof.

I report it as snow covered and not observable. If the house is close by I don't mind going back once the snow is off. I'll do so without charge but only if someone asks - and usually they don't.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Going back after the fact to check the roof in the spring is of little value to the purchaser who has already waived his inspection clause and the sale has closed.

Roofing (All Areas)
    - Not Inspected
    - Snow covered at time of Inspection. Recommend further review of the roofing materials by a licensed contractor prior to closing.

In the rare times we get enough snow to cover the roof, I tell my clients I wasn't able to view the shingles, and it wasn't inspected.

I see no point in sweeping off any snow, except to identify the materials. Otherwise, it just a huge waste of time, and a chance to freeze your hands.

Move south!

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.