Steve Myers Guest

Default Service Entrance Masts to Duplex

Here is the what I saw as approached today's inspection:

Both Masts are under overhang which is about 7' 6" from the ground on that side of the building. The cablevision cable is running with overhead service from the previous pole.

The lowest loop is touchable flatfooted.

POCO notified.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Exclamation Re: Service Entrance Masts to Duplex

Unsafe. Life safety hazards, both of them. Document it as such, and recommend immediate correction by a licensed electrician. Findings like this often prompt me to comment that I don't like to read about my clients in the newspaper . . . in the obituaries.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Default Re: Service Entrance Masts to Duplex

Wow. And certainly within 3 feet of an operable window.

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Myers View Post
    The lowest loop is touchable flatfooted.

POCO notified.
    One would think that the meter readers would have some responsibility in notifying their supervisors of those conditions when they were out reading the meters.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    One would think that the meter readers would have some responsibility in notifying their supervisors of those conditions when they were out reading the meters.
    I agree. Nowadays (and likely in these meters also) they have no more "human readers", as their all digital and read via RF.

Lou Romano Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    Wow. And certainly within 3 feet of an operable window.
    In this case that statement may be correct but don't assume that it applies to all windows! If a window is capable of being used as an escape from the building, which it most certainly is here, that rule applies. However it does not apply to an awning type window or a window that cannot be used as an escape from a building.

The riser definitely needs to go through the roof for proper clearances!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Romano View Post
    In this case that statement may be correct but don't assume that it applies to all windows! If a window is capable of being used as an escape from the building, which it most certainly is here, that rule applies. However it does not apply to an awning type window or a window that cannot be used as an escape from a building.

Lou, everyplace I've ever worked the rule is that if the window can be opened at all the 3 foot rule gets applied, even casement windows that open toward the mast. The reason is that if someone can get an arm through anywhere and touch the wire there is a safety issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Romano View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post
    Lou, everyplace I've ever worked the rule is that if the window can be opened at all the 3 foot rule gets applied, even casement windows that open toward the mast. The reason is that if someone can get an arm through anywhere and touch the wire there is a safety issue.
    Bill is correct, and, unless I've missed it all these years, the NEC has never mentioned emergency egress regarding windows being within that 3 feet.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Roger Frazee Guest

What's the second tap on the messenger/neutral about ??

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Frazee View Post
    What's the second tap on the messenger/neutral about ??
    The cable TV cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Myers View Post
    The cablevision cable is running with overhead service from the previous pole.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Some places they tie the GEC to the ground rod, and sometimes water pipe, to the neutral at the top of the mast. Size says they did something like that here. Need more info to tell exactly what's afoot.

Steve Myers Guest

I hadn't noticed the second tap on the neutral. I looked some of my other photos. It goes down to ground. Several connections there. Cable, phone, ac unit. Good eyes.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Lou Romano Guest

Not NEC, FBC or FPL standards maybe? I forget where I found that but I have successfully argued this with Miami-Dade on more than one occasion! I will look for it but there are other exceptions in NEC. Bold and underlining by me.

(A) Clearances. Service conductors installed as open conductors
    or multiconductor cable without an overall outer
    jacket shall have a clearance of not less than 900 mm (3 ft)
    from windows that are designed to be opened, doors,
    porches, balconies, ladders, stairs, fire escapes, or similar
    locations.
    Exception: Conductors run above the top level of a window
    shall be permitted to be less than the 900-mm (3-ft)
    requirement.

Last edited by ken horak; 03-30-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    all the talk about windows and the code and nobody mentioned the requirement for the overhead lines to be 10 foot or more off the ground.
    Ken,

The original post started off there, stating that those were only 7' 6" high, and ended by stating "POCO notified.", guess we pretty much presumed that he knew the minimum height as he notified the power company, and that he was just posting this for us to see.

I've seen them so low you could clothesline yourself on them if you were not paying attention - a 30" high deck had been constructed underneath the overhead service drop, which was less than 8 feet high to start with.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Roger Frazee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post
    Some places they tie the GEC to the ground rod, and sometimes water pipe, to the neutral at the top of the mast. Size says they did something like that here. Need more info to tell exactly what's afoot.
    Looks like your right from the additional picture. I thought it had to be GEC related but that is just really rare in my area to connect in that manner . In most all cases its the service equipment in my area and occassionally the utility allows inside a meter enclosure.