Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Gas Meter Bollards

This gas meter was about 16 inches away from the edge of the driveway and had no protective bollard. Any ideas what the requirement is for bollards around these? The house was 13 years old.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Gas Meter Bollards

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    This gas meter was about 16 inches away from the edge of the driveway and had no protective bollard. Any ideas what the requirement is for bollards around these? The house was 13 years old.
    To be straight forward, I would not even worry about requirements in a case like this. Common sense is good enough for me in this instance. I guess it would be good to know what exactly would qualify as suitable protection. Written requirements might help in that respect.

That is "green" building. Another 15-20 years and the tree will protect the meter.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Have seen bollards on industrial and commercial buildings, but never in a residential setting.

I already stated to my client and in the report that the non-presence of a bollard would make the meter and piping susceptible to inadvertent damage from cars on the adjacent driveway. I'm just trying to find out if a bollard is required.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

If a car hits that gas meter there will be bigger things to worry about (like the missing wall). A bolloard won't stop a car traveling at any substantial speed, they just suggest that cars keep a respectable distance.
    What about the gas meter (regulator) and electric meter in such close proximity?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Hi Nick,

I was unable to find the specific vehicle protection requirements. In your case, I recommend installation of a bollard or similar protection and state my reasoning. I realize that is not what you are looking for... Sorry.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Exclamation Re: Gas Meter Bollards

free online:

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

Gas meters and distribution lines are regulated by the Us DOT under 49CFR part 192.

See section 192.353a for your answer.

FYI, the 'point of delivery' where the federal CFR gives way to your local gas codes is the outlet of the meter. That's the big nut on the right hand handle bar. From there downstream comes under your gas code and is the property owner's responsibility.

HTH

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Thanks for the help guys.

FWIW... around this part of the world the AHJs just don't enforce bollards for electric and gas meters outside houses. For some reason they've generally decided they're necesary inside garages.

It confuses me on a daily basis and I write it up regularly but it rarely gets taken care of.