Default Re: Superhydrophobic coatings

Kinda like RainX for your walls.
    It could be useful on my rental properties, but how would I repaint?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Could make inspectors impervious to law suits. Spray it on before any inspection.

I have used hydophobic polyurethanes when waterproofing foundation cracks, but would be careful where I recommend them as far as moisture/air or vapor barriers.

Remember; there is a difference.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Could make inspectors impervious to law suits. Spray it on before any inspection.
    I guess we can start calling you "Teflon Wand".

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

By the way, just because water beads on a surface does not mean that service is impervious to moisture penetration.

For example at my water intrusion inspections I often find walls that have been treated with waterproofing materials (usually a paint) and on which water beads readily, but when tested with a RILEM tube are highly absorptive.

And this isn't just a theoretical distinction, I'm usually looking at the wall because water intrusion through the wall's surface is causing serious problems at the interior of the building.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

This looks like a very cool product. I was impressed they coated an i-phone and dropped it in a bucket of water for 30 minutes.
    The bad part is, its not available for sale to the public at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    By the way, just because water beads on a surface does not mean that service is impervious to moisture penetration.

For example at my water intrusion inspections I often find walls that have been treated with waterproofing materials (usually a paint) and on which water beads readily, but when tested with a RILEM tube are highly absorptive.

And this isn't just a theoretical distinction, I'm usually looking at the wall because water intrusion through the wall's surface is causing serious problems at the interior of the building.
    Besides Decker that makes you the second guy I know using one.
    Guess I better put my order in.

Mike ,what areas besides Split Block wall coverings are where you are finding a good use for the tube?

Interesting statement because I always figured looking at the wall in general was a good indicator (dark moisture stains after a rain)

The only issue I have with the Matts testing is it is only sampling a small micro portion of a individual block.