James Nelson Guest

Default How bad does shingle curling "have to" be?

Hello friends,

I've seen several posts on curling asphalt shingles in this forum, but little advice on what to do about them. Here's my problem: the new carrier of my insurance got around to looking at the property (a rental one) and said nope, we're canceling the policy in a month on account of your curling shingles. Huh? The roof is 11 years old; shots of the garage roof are shown (the white stuff is only frost), and the main roof doesn't look even this bad. Interestingly (to me) most of the curled corners seem to lie in diagonal staggered lines going up the roof and not to be randomly distributed.

My question is (though maybe as inspectors you don't want to advise on this): hasn't this roof got several years of Kansas winters and summers left in it? If it were yours, would you replace it, or try to find another insurer? The roof was put on by the seller, and only now I've realized that sellers probably won't pop for the highest quality...

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: How bad does shingle curling "have to" be?

I would agree it's time for replacement. Once the shingles lose adhesion, the roof is going to be subject to win damage. If it was my roof I probably wouldn't replace it YET. If I was the insurer, I wouldn't insure it.
    BTW, 11 years is "up there" for 3-tab shingles.

I have several rental properties. About 3 years ago the insurance company said they were dropping coverage on some of my houses. No particular reason was given. The agent said that the company had been hit hard by resent claims, hurricanes, floods. He shopped around and found another company. Of course the rates went up, that's one of the joys of being a landlord.

It may help if you have a roofing inspector make an inspection with a written report. You can provide the report to the insurance company.

I can't tell much from the photos.
    About the only way to "Fix" the curling shingles is to replace the roof, or at least those shingles.
    As for replacing or repairing the roof, if it's not leaking it does not need to be repaired.
    Kansas likely has more wind than where I'm at, so you need to consider that.
    A roof with curling shingles is more likely to be damaged suddenly by high wind.

Most shingle roofs will be in service for much much longer than 11 years.

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 11-17-2011 at 05:38 AM.
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

There is nothing wrong with those shingles as per the photos. Why replace them?
    Find another insurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    I would agree it's time for replacement. Once the shingles lose adhesion, the roof is going to be subject to win damage. If it was my roof I probably wouldn't replace it YET. If I was the insurer, I wouldn't insure it.
    BTW, 11 years is "up there" for 3-tab shingles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    There is nothing wrong with those shingles as per the photos. Why replace them?
    Find another insurer.
    Now that were all in agreement, next question.

Thumbs down Re: How bad does shingle curling "have to" be?

Curling tabs can be easily damaged as previously stated and indicates end of life. I bet the shingles are also brittle and missing protective granules if viewed from the roof.

James

James Bohac

Zane Remenda Guest

In my opinion they are fine,

Do you know the estimated useful lifespan of the shingles?
    Usually, people leave an extra bag around for replacement purposes.

If so, I would show this to the insurer, if not I would change insurer.

As for the pattern of the curls, I would be curious to see the attic, are the soffits blocked, how is the ventilation?

Good luck

Zane

If that house gets hit by a twister, that roof is not fine. On the other hand, ditto for a brand new roof, when the house gets smashed to matchsticks anyway. It sounds like a greenhorn insurance inspector is overdoing CYA to impress the boss.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Never mind the shingles if a twister hits, goodbye home, and you don't have to be in Kansas Toto.

Toto is the dog? You're showing your age there, Raymond.
    I thought Toto was a pop band named after the famous toilet.

www.allsafehome.ca

I wonder what the insurers would say about this one.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I say that flashing is certainly well nailed. Twister ready.

www.allsafehome.ca

Greg Kelly Guest

Hey James,

Curling doesn't look to be a concern. Is the slope less then 4/12? If so, a low slope shingle is required. The existing is not.

Greg