Default Garbage disposal with septic system

Hello,
    This is my first post. I inspected a home yesterday and found a garbage disposal installed under the sink. I am aware you should not use this with a septic system. I am looking for suggestions in how to word the comment.

Thanks
    Tom Martin
    Home Inspections MA RI | Quality Check Home Inspection Massachusetts Rhode Island

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Garbage disposal with septic system

I would use as few words as possible. "Use of the garbage disposer will add dramatically to the build up of sludge in the septic tank. Remove the garbage disposer and set up an outdoor composter".

Then I'd add an information sheet to the report somewhere "Living with a Septic System".

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Thanks John!!

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I would use as few words as possible. "Use of the garbage disposer will add dramatically to the build up of sludge in the septic tank. Remove the garbage disposer and set up an outdoor composter".

Then I'd add an information sheet to the report somewhere "Living with a Septic System".
    Or make it simple "Do not use a garburator." Please refer to OWRP :: CONSUMER INFORMATION CENTRE :: MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS

I asked this question a while back. It seems that there is no reason not to have a disposal on a septic system. You can check the manufacturers web site, seems they had info on it.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I asked this question a while back. It seems that there is no reason not to have a disposal on a septic system. You can check the manufacturers web site, seems they had info on it.
    Please refer to Your Septic System | CMHC
    "You should avoid putting anything into the septic system that doesn’t break down naturally or anything that takes a long time to break down. Materials such as oils, grease, and fat, disposable diapers, tampons and their holders, condoms, paper towels, facial tissues, cat box litter, plastics, cigarette filters, coffee grounds, egg shells, and other kitchen wastes, should never be put into the septic system. You should also avoid the use of in-sink garbage disposal units (“garburators”) unless the septic tank and leaching bed are designed to accommodate the increase water and organic load created from these devices."

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    Please refer to Your Septic System | CMHC
    "You should avoid putting anything into the septic system that doesn’t break down naturally or anything that takes a long time to break down. Materials such as oils, grease, and fat, disposable diapers, tampons and their holders, condoms, paper towels, facial tissues, cat box litter, plastics, cigarette filters, coffee grounds, egg shells, and other kitchen wastes, should never be put into the septic system. You should also avoid the use of in-sink garbage disposal units (“garburators”) unless the septic tank and leaching bed are designed to accommodate the increase water and organic load created from these devices."
    Daniel
    The OP stated " I am aware you should not use this with a septic system.".
    This is not correct.
    Even the source you provided said "unless the septic tank and leaching bed are designed to accommodate the increase water and organic load"
    Just washing clothes or bathing could be beyond the capacity of a septic system. It's not the use of a disposal, it's more about how much use the septic system gets.

InSinkErator | InSinkErator Badger Disposal | Badger Disposal Repair | Repairing Fixing Garbage Disposal | Fixing Garbage Disposal

"With an InSinkErator® food waste disposer in your kitchen, chicken bones, fruit rinds, coffee grounds and more can go right in the sink -- where they're virtually liquefied to safely flow into your sewage system or septic tank"

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Wink Re: Garbage disposal with septic system

rick,
    health dept wants to know if you plan on installing a disposer so your that new septic system can be designed for the additional loading. the manufacturer will always claim it is o.k to install a disposer on existing systems, it's MONEY!

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    rick,
    health dept wants to know if you plan on installing a disposer so your that new septic system can be designed for the additional loading. the manufacturer will always claim it is o.k to install a disposer on existing systems, it's MONEY!
    Since your post and my second post are so close in time, I'll presume you did not have the opportunity to read it.

This is a link to the thread when I asked about disposals on a septic system.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-question.html

I've read all that and more. It boils down to whose opinion you like best.

Martin makes an attempt to get a point across, but it is largely ignored. Fats in the food which was stuffed into the disposer will float off the top into the drain field.
    Sure if you've got a large tank and a small family, go ahead and load it up with food waste. Throw fat in there and hopefully the drain field will be ok. Then have the sludge pumped out before it fills the tank. That is an opinion. Not mine. I've had nothing but septic systems and am older than TV.

The best system I ever had, built by my wife and me, a small ferro cement tank, a ridiculously short drain field, smelled so sweet when I finally got it pumped that the pumper dude gave me a discount! The only thing about that system was - no detergent and no kitchen waste ever went into that tank.
    The grey water system, on the other hand, needed to be dug up 3 times before my septic tank needed pumping. There was so much fat buildup in the pipes, it was better to replace them and lay a new drain field. Did that twice in 15 years.

Where I am now, it is taboo to have a separate greywater system. I wouldn't dream of pouring coffee grounds, chicken fat, etc into my septic tank. Toilet paper and soap is bad enough. That's my opinion.

www.allsafehome.ca

Stephen G Guest

John if your still working your doing well:
    Invention of the Television

John Logie Baird (August 13, 1888 - June 14, 1946) was a Scottish engineer and inventor of the world's first working television system in Hastings, England in 1923

[quote=John Kogel;182691] I've had nothing but septic systems and am older than TV.

I have a septic and a disposal. I do try to limit the amount of stuff we put down it. I might advise the same if I saw in a house with a septic. Wouldn't make a big deal out of it. As for grease and fat allot of that is going to go down the drain from washing the dishes.

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

[quote=Stephen G;182692]John if your still working your doing well:
    Invention of the Television

John Logie Baird (August 13, 1888 - June 14, 1946) was a Scottish engineer and inventor of the world's first working television system in Hastings, England in 1923

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I've had nothing but septic systems and am older than TV.
    ]Somehow, I knew somebody would Google TV. .I am older than silicon transistors, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ernst View Post
    I have a septic and a disposal. I do try to limit the amount of stuff we put down it. I might advise the same if I saw in a house with a septic. Wouldn't make a big deal out of it. As for grease and fat allot of that is going to go down the drain from washing the dishes.
    There should be an elbow at the drain end that stops the top layer from flowing down into the field. You want to keep that grease layer thin, and then there's no problemo.

www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
    Hello,
    This is my first post. I inspected a home yesterday and found a garbage disposal installed under the sink. I am aware you should not use this with a septic system. I am looking for suggestions in how to word the comment.

Thanks
    Tom Martin
    Home Inspections MA RI | Quality Check Home Inspection Massachusetts Rhode Island
    I have spoken to several septic guys in my area and they have no problem with disposals as long as they are not used excessively.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Thanks to all for your comments on my post. Nice to have a message board like this for home inspectors to share ideas and knowledge.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Maintenance and operation suggestions that inspectors can pass on to their clients Garbage Disposals for Inspectors - InterNACHI

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI