Thread: Gotta Love Em'

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Gotta Love Em'

I got a call yesterday from a realtor who has provided me with three clients in the course of 2 years. I never solicited her for business and never visited her office so it's not like I am looking for work from her. When I first started inspecting almost 5 years ago, I got more referrals from her but I noticed as I gained more experience and found more defects that my referrals from her dwindled to the aforementioned 3 clients in 2 years (shocking isn't it). So what was she calling for yesterday? For me to inspect the house she's buying for herself.

Gotta love em'.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Richard Rushing Guest

Default Re: Gotta Love Em'

Nick,

I have about 5 realtors who only call for an inspection for themselves or their relatives... Otherwise, I never hear from them or their clients. Funny isn't it.

One of the funniest times I had with one of these 5 realtors was when one of their clients called me (without the knowledge of the realtor) and scheduled the inspection.

I'm at the property before everyone else, then the client and realtor show up. The look on her face was priceless.

This realtor tells her client, "Oh, youre going to love Richard! He is so thorough that I use him for all my personal purchases."

The client picked up on that part and says, "Well how come you didn't recommend him to me?"

There was about a 10 second stammer/ stutter then she say, "Well, were not suppose to recommend just one inspector".

The client says, "I get that part... but, he wasn't on the list you gave me"

You could have heard a gnat fart....

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

That's great Rich. I had another one where I did an inspection for a buyer and who was referred to me by a past client. I never met the realtor before and only heard from her one time in 2.5 years since performing that inspection. It was to inspect her house.

I can count on 3 fingers now the amount of realtors who continue to give out my name no matter how many deals fall through after my inspections. It really makes me wonder what some inspectors are doing/not doing to earn the lion's share of the realtor referrals.

I also recently had my annual ball-bustin' call from an upset realtor for a house deal that fell through after my inspection. I typically get one a year. "You didn't say anything positive in the report.....I thought knob and tube wiring only gets mentioned in a report if it has problems...........This deal is affecting 5 families..........It's an old house, it's going to have cracks...........".

SHAAAAAAADDDDUUUPPPP!!!!!!!

Same here, I've been in business for over 12 years now and have gone through many of the same type. When I show up at a home they are listing they just walk away shaking their heads. I give them a nice big" You know your gonna get a good one now smile" and say " so nice to see you again" And "Oh by the way how did the deal go the last time I saw you?"
    And then they say I always cringe when wayne shows up at my listings but if my daughter is buying a home he's the one to call. Oh and can I get the broker discount. Of coarse. That's where I mark the inspection up 30 percent and give a 20 percent discount. AHHHHHHHHHHHH FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEY

Richard's case is more common then dirt for almost all inspectors who have been in business for any length of time. Besides the “I give you all my inspections BS” I used to get this and well anyway here’s how it generally went:

“Hello, is this Jerry?”
    “Yes it is and how may I help you?”
    “I just wanted you to know your inspection report blew the sale of that home you inspected last week.”
    “Is this Mabel B?”
    “Yes it is.”
    “Mabel, my inspection report didn’t blow your sale, the conditions of the home did. However, may I ask, do you still have the client?”
    “Yes I do.”
    “Well find them a home in better condition and all will be well in Mudville.”

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Erol Kartal Guest

Red face Re: Gotta Love Em'

My clients are always happy with my work and report.

The realtors always hate me for my work and report.

Being a full blooded independant inspector to the bone, this is where I want to be.

Erol Kartal
    Pro Inspect