Raghav Singh Guest

Default NM Wire running through soffits and and trim

Hi, This is a NM wire which runs into the house through the aluminum soffits and trim. I thought this may be improper but could not find any code or guidance and my knowledge of electrical SOP and common sense is very limited at the moment (Trying to fix that as well).

I was wondering if you guys let me know if this is an improper/unsafe way to run a NM wire and if so how can I fix it? Otherwise , as always, any additional input or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all of the help so far , it makes all the difference.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: NM Wire running through soffits and and trim

That wire appears to be a TV or satellite cable and not NM. Not the best way to run communication cables either but this type of work is the norm in most areas that I work.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Raghav Singh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    That wire appears to be a TV or satellite cable and not NM. Not the best way to run communication cables either but this type of work is the norm in most areas that I work.
    Very true , we don't have cable, DTV etc so I didn't even think of that but it must be an old, unused installation. Thank you for clearing that up.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I agree it appears to be 75 ohm coax, possibly but not as likely cat 5 cable. Where does it come from? Possibly a NIC?

TV antena on the roof? 75 ohm coax quite common, Shouldn't be there or that way, regardless of what it is.

Seems if you're prowling around your own home you could follow where start and stop quite easily, such as looking in the attic soffit area.

What is it? a rat, mouse, bat, critter, insect red carpet/highway/welcome sign.

Raghav Singh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    I agree it appears to be 75 ohm coax, possibly but not as likely cat 5 cable. Where does it come from? Possibly a NIC?

TV antena on the roof? 75 ohm coax quite common, Shouldn't be there or that way, regardless of what it is.

Seems if you're prowling around your own home you could follow where start and stop quite easily, such as looking in the attic soffit area.

What is it? a rat, mouse, bat, critter, insect red carpet/highway/welcome sign.
    It is a telephone cable.

Stephen G Guest

Raghav,

If you can, purchase this book. I have and it when clients have questions that a nice picture would help I use this.

'How your House Works'

How Your House Works: A Visual Guide to Understanding and Maintaining Your Home: Charlie Wing: Books | chapters.indigo.ca