Thread: Sediment traps

Raghav Singh Guest

Default Sediment traps

Hi , not knowing much about furnaces in general , let alone sediment traps (if these are even sediment traps) are these installed correctly? My understanding is that the traps should create a T with the pipe or otherwise terminate so that it can act as a trap.

I'm not sure if these are even supposed to be sediment traps so any insight into what is going on here would be greatly appreciated. I've gone through my whole home today , found alot and thank god for this message board , probably saved me a lot of money. I really appreciate all of the help after this post, hopefully I wont have any more questions regarding systems in my home. Thanks for the help and patience

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (14.8 KB, 41 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (15.5 KB, 34 views)
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Sediment traps

No sediment trap shown in your photos, just a horizontal supply pipe with an upturned elbow and a short piece to an appliance connector.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Smile Re: Sediment traps

A couple of thing to mention. Where the flexible appliance connector enters the furnace case, there should be a rubber bushing or grommet at a minimum. The best practice is for a black pipe nipple to extend from the appliances gas valve back through the furnace case. The use of the bushing or the pipe nipple serve to prevent vibration from cutting through the gas line. Also attached is a drawing of a drip leg or sediment trap.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Raghav Singh Guest

True. Thanks for the heads up, drawing and for the info, I just got back from home depot , so I should be able to take care of it tonight.

Darrel Hood Guest

Perhaps I am an overly cautious worry wart, but this concerns me about this home owner section. In this thread did a forum member just give an unqualified home owner partial instruction on plumbing gas supply piping? This venue seems tailor made to suck an inspector into a legally risky situation. And I am not usually the guy who is concerned about liability.

Darrel
    You may be right. I thought about this after posting and wondered if I may have opened up a bag of worms.
    Perhaps I can salvage this without someone having problems.

Mr. Singh, not to cast aspersions on your home repair ability, but this project may be one more properly handled by a licensed and competent plumber. Anytime one deals with a fuel such as gas there an inherent danger if the procedure is not performed correctly.

I should have said that the illustrations only served to show one method to correct this piping and that the repair is best left to a professional.
    My apologies.

When advice is given on most repairs nearly each poster here would recommend that you use the services of a licensed contractor. You should also be sure that permits have been applied for if needed and all local codes are followed.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    Perhaps I am an overly cautious worry wart, but this concerns me about this home owner section. In this thread did a forum member just give an unqualified home owner partial instruction on plumbing gas supply piping? This venue seems tailor made to suck an inspector into a legally risky situation. And I am not usually the guy who is concerned about liability.
    The drawing looks like one from a manufacturer's installation instruction or possibly even a code commentary, I doubt there is much legal risk there.

However, that is the reason I stopped putting drawings up quite some time ago, and why Roger stopped putting drawings up last year.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raghav Singh View Post
    True. Thanks for the heads up, drawing and for the info, I just got back from home depot , so I should be able to take care of it tonight.
    Please don't take your gas line apart thinking you need that trap in there. You could create a leak which could blow your house sky high.
    That is a job for a licensed contractor for that reason. There is a potential of a gas leak.
    You could set the parts aside and have a gas technician, a gas heating contractor, install the trap next time you have the furnace serviced.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Raghav Singh Guest

Hello all
    Sorry to create this situation , I am on here purely for informational purposes , all of my posts have been more out of curiosity then anything else and I will only proceed by contacting a licensed plumber about my concerns. However I appreciate all the information as it improves my general knowledge.

I can see how this would all concern people , especially since we are not anonymous but atleast here one gets responsible , well - informed advice. I can find a DIY video on just about anything out there and when it comes to the things that I do know about/do for a living I see all types of false info and dangerously misleading advice proposed to inexperienced aviators , so I understand where the concern comes in.

So once again , I appreciate the info as it has added to my education but I do not take it as license to do work which people have to go to great lengths in order to be educated and competent enough to be able to these jobs safely and properly.

Mr. Darty , I appreciated the educational illustration and took it only as that . I did not/will not use it for any practical application

I will not use any of the information as practical advice for a project and as far as any action goes I will proceed on the advice, given very clearly , that I contact a professional to look into these matters further. Anything else mentioned was only in the spirit of discussion and education.

Again I apologize for any confusion that this may have created and thank you all for taking the time to share some information with me and hope this clumsy disclaimer will ease some minds .

Last edited by Raghav Singh; 11-28-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Accuracy