Josh Johns Guest

Default Clearance for underground propane tank

I am working on designing a new home on a tight lot and placing an underground propane tank will be challenging with the required clearances. I have been reading through past threads and I am still unclear on one clearance issue on underground propane tanks.

Looking at the diagram from NFPA, Appendix I:

Note 3 - "no part of an underground container shall be less than 10 feet from a building or the line of adjoining property which may be built upon."

Can the underground tank be placed closer than 10' from the property line at the street? Is the street ROW considered a line that could be built upon?

Overall the tank would be completely buried and protected from vehicles but I am not sure if the street right of way is considered property line which may be built upon?

The side property line shared with another house is required to have a 5' setback for buildings but fences can be built on the property line. Would the 10' clearance to the "nearest line which may later be built upon" be measured from the property line or the potential building footprint of the neighbors house (5' on their property)

Has anyone run into this before? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Josh

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Clearance for underground propane tank

Contact the propane retailer that you will be buying your fuel from. They should be able to give you all the info that you need.
    Things may be different in your area, but everywhere that I have had to deal with propane the retailer owns the tank and will install it so that it meets local standard.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

This diagram should be of assistance.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Zibby Bujno Guest

for underground tanks, all you have to worry about is 10ft min from access port/regulator.
    Tank itself can be right next to foundation (if its under 125gal) . Posted pic above will explain everything. If in doubt call local propane dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibby Bujno View Post
    for underground tanks, all you have to worry about is 10ft min from access port/regulator.
    Tank itself can be right next to foundation (if its under 125gal) . Posted pic above will explain everything. If in doubt call local propane dealer.
    Read Note 3. Not allowed.

You can try to apply for a variance for the front yard location. I doubt they will allow it between the houses. That would put a covenant on your neighbor's lot.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca