Gary Lura Guest

Default new house wiring best practice - through walls or trusses

Just curious what you have found to be the best way to route wire through a new house?
    I've helped on a couple of family houses and soon will be doing my own. For past projects, we've ran the majority of the electrical wiring through floor and roof trusses and then come down or up into the wall where a switch/receptical is. Electrical inspections have always had great results.
    Obviously, this is probably using a lot more wire than running horizontally through walls, and also adds time for stapling the wire running up\down the studs and the routes through the trusses.

What techniques do you find to be the best in new construction? I'm debating about running wire like we've done in the past or run through the walls more, which may save some time and costs on the wire (although that isn't a big factor in the decision).
    Also, the house is a slab on grade 2 story. Exterior walls are 2x6, the majority of interior walls are 2x4.

thanks for your input,
    gary

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: new house wiring best practice - through walls or trusses

I would run them through the walls, horizontally where I could, and route through the ceiling and attic when necessary. I don't think it makes a ton of difference, but as you noted you'll be using a lot more wire one way than the other. It may make a little difference in your insulation the fewer penetrations and wires in the attic, which in ND may mean more than in other places.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Be sure to figure on using a lot of nail plates to protect the wiring.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

I've seen much more routing through walls in houses I've worked on and lived in. I suppose there's really no reason one is better than the other. I guess I like drilling through studs as opposed to floor joists and other lateral members as there's generally more extra "meat" to drill at in studs. Also, switch loops seem to perplex/annoy some people and running through the walls eliminates that..... and wiring through walls is just physically easier.... at least for me. I'd rather work in front of my rather than over my head and at my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I've seen much more routing through walls in houses I've worked on and lived in. I suppose there's really no reason one is better than the other. I guess I like drilling through studs as opposed to floor joists and other lateral members as there's generally more extra "meat" to drill at in studs. Also, switch loops seem to perplex/annoy some people and running through the walls eliminates that..... and wiring through walls is just physically easier.... at least for me. I'd rather work in front of my rather than over my head and at my feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    Be sure to figure on using a lot of nail plates to protect the wiring.
    If you run the wiring through the walls, be prepared to do what Alton said.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

In cold climate such as ND, you may be wise to minimize attic penetrations. Best to bore holes at a uniform height a few inches above outlet boxes but below windows, if possible. A uniform horizontal height makes insulating a bit easier, too. Installing nail protection in the few places that you may need it is a small price to pay.

Fred Comb, ACI
    Mahtomedi, MN
    www.homeinspectionsofmn.com

Darrel Hood Guest

I suggest that you tour a home under construction to see what the builder is doing. That is almost certainly the most economical effective method in your region. Around here they run the wiring in the walls.

Gary Lura Guest

Thanks for the input everyone. That helps.
    I'm going to start drilling while I'm vacation and the roof is still being finished.
    Horizontal when possible seems to be the way to go with little downsides.

I think the main reason why I wasn't sure about it before was boring through all the studs. Punching a hole through a perfecftly solid wall stud just seemed like something that would weaken it, but is seems to be the common way to do things. It seems like going through the top\bottom plates would be less invasive structurally.
    I've always seen contractors go horizontal, but contractors need to make money, so controlling costs is important and thought maybe it was simply done to reduce material and labor costs.

btw, up here in ND, I believe insulators are now foaming holes going through the trusses. My dad just finished building a house a couple years ago, and I think I recall seeing they foamed all those holes.

Thanks again. I better get busy time to go drill in below-freezing temps

-gary