Clay E White Guest

Default bollard protection for water heater?

Last edited by Clay E White; 01-04-2008 at 02:36 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: bollard protection for water heater?

Quote Originally Posted by Clay E White View Post
    Needed or not needed?
    Not needed.

The water heater is within a closet and behind a door. Thus, it is not exposed to vehicle damage.

It is ... but then ... that vehicle must take out that wall first, so it isn't.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Wink Re: bollard protection for water heater?

Bollards and why we need them, but hardly ever see em?
    BTW, that Water Heater's drain-pan looks damaged (many are) and where is it draining too? Don't see any evidence of electrical bonding jumpers and where is that gas-fired WH getting its combustion air from?
    And, that electrical distribution panel (sub-panel) at the rear wall of the garage is probably violating the integrity of its fire separation ability?
    Once an inspector, always an inspector! Unfortunately it's incurable you know.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

M. GHAZAL Guest

Hi Guys,
    If the base under the boiler is concrete and is at least 18'' high , then I guess it should be ok.

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Clay,

I would recommend a bollard be installed at the left corner of the framed enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph P. Hagarty View Post
    I would recommend a bollard be installed at the left corner of the framed enclosure.
    Joe,

Curious, do you recommend bollards be installed in a laundry room to protect the washer and dryer when the laundry room backs up to the garage? Appliances require protection from vehicle damage too.

If not, why not (based on recommending one for that water heater).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jon Randolph Guest

Was there a fresh air intake ofr that "closet"? You should have one with that solid door.

Joshua Hardesty Guest

Upon whom does the responsibility lie for installing these?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hardesty View Post
    Upon whom does the responsibility lie for installing these?
    Joshua,

Depends ...

For new construction, that would fall upon the builder and/or whomever he contracted with to install that protection.

Down in South Florida the typical protection is not a bollard but is a 24"x24"x24" pedestal made from concrete blocks then poured solid with concrete - it offers more protection than a bollard does.

However ... if you (as a plumber) are installing or replacing a water heater in a garage, you (as a plumber) would be responsible for not only protecting it but for raising the ignition source 18" above the garage floor.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

Around here the AHJ allows concrete parking space bumpers to be used as protection for a water heater. These are about 5' long and about 6" x 6".

Richard Moore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Around here the AHJ allows concrete parking space bumpers to be used as protection for a water heater. These are about 5' long and about 6" x 6".
    How does that work given that various vehicles have extreme variance in the overhang, even at the front? And that's not mentioning the rear overhang which can be fairly major on some trucks (and old Caddies, etc). The protection is still needed, actually even more so, if you decide to reverse into the space one day.

BTW...this must be bollard heaven out here because they are very, very common...and always called if missing.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

And of course all garages have plenty of width and depth to accommodate the cars and the appliances so you can still open your car doors, open the trunk to get the groceries out ... all with the garage door closed.

OK,

What's with people deleting their posts? Are they afraid that future searches by attorneys will turn up a lack of knowledge?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Hey, speaking of which..... I notice you changed your signature.... are you afraid of the vegetarian attorneys?

Or, is there such a thing?? Probably not.... I suppose all attorneys are meat eaters

Matt,

No. I just get bored with whatever line I use and I change it periodically. I have a bunch and hope to keep everyone entertained with my wit (actually, since they are plagiarized, someone else's wit).

"All generalizations are false."

Define "false".

Generalizations are, as generalizations go, true - regarding being a generalization.

That's like saying that all "averages" are false. They are, but as for showing "averages" they are not.

What is a "generalization" if not a statement depicting "averages"?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

jerry,
    with the white rabbit reference in another post and now this philosophical rant i am concerned that you may be smoking the medicinal herb (prescribed of course) and then posting. i hope it is purely recreational if that is the case

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

The signature is a generalization. Get it? Intended to be a joke.

If I had stated "All generalizations are true", it wouldn't have been funny.

From Merriam-Webster online: (bolding and colors are theirs)

Main Entry:1joke Pronunciation: \ˈjōk\ Function:noun Etymology:Latin jocus; perhaps akin to Old High German gehan to say, Sanskrit yācati he asksDate:1670 1 a: something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1): the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2): an instance of jesting : kidding <can't take a joke> c: practical joke d: laughingstock2: something not to be taken seriously : a trifling matter <consider his skiing a joke — Harold Callender> —often used in negative constructions <it is no joke to be lost in the desert>

Also from M-W online:

Main Entry:gen·er·al·ize Pronunciation: \ˈjen-rə-ˌlīz, ˈje-nə-\ Function:verb Inflected Form(s):gen·er·al·ized; gen·er·al·iz·ingDate:circa 1751 transitive verb1: to give a general form to2 a: to derive or induce (a general conception or principle) from particulars b: to draw a general conclusion from3: to give general applicability to <generalize a law>; also : to make indefiniteintransitive verb1: to form generalizations; also : to make vague or indefinite statements2: to spread or extend throughout the body
    — gen·er·al·iz·abil·i·ty \ˌjen-rə-ˌlī-zə-ˈbi-lə-tē, ˌje-nə-\ noun
    — gen·er·al·iz·able \-ˌlī-zə-bəl\ adjective
    — gen·er·al·iz·er noun

And:
    Main Entry:1false Pronunciation: \ˈfȯls\ Function:adjective Inflected Form(s):fals·er; fals·estEtymology:Middle English fals, faus, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin falsus, from past participle of fallere to deceiveDate:12th century 1: not genuine <false documents> <false teeth>2 a: intentionally untrue <false testimony> b: adjusted or made so as to deceive <false scales> <a trunk with a false bottom> c: intended or tending to mislead <a false promise>3: not true <false concepts>4 a: not faithful or loyal : treacherous <a false friend> b: lacking naturalness or sincerity <false sympathy>5 a: not essential or permanent —used of parts of a structure that are temporary or supplemental b: fitting over a main part to strengthen it, to protect it, or to disguise its appearance <a false ceiling>6: inaccurate in pitch <a false note>7 a: based on mistaken ideas <false pride> b: inconsistent with the facts <a false position> <a false sense of security>8: threateningly sudden or deceptive <don't make any false moves>

This would probably be known as "taking a joke too far".

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Jerry,

The signature is a generalization. Get it? Intended to be a joke.

Gunnar,

I know, but I couldn't resist the ... as Brian put it " philosophical rant " ... you left the door open so wide, I 'had to drive the truck through it', there was no other choice.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

OK, I guess I will just have to change my signature again.