tsellen Guest

Smile Career suggestions

Over the last few months I've been researching the job outlook for a home inspector, salary, certification, ect. My current profession as a pilot has been extremely unstable, and I've been contemplating other supplementary career options. I'm not interested at this time to exit my profession, but rather, just looking to supplement the fluctuations in my income. My current schedule allows approximately 15-18 days off per month.

If you have a moment to spare, I'd like to get your valuable input on the profession and also recommended courses and training options. I've completed my Bachelor of Science degree online and that format to worked very well for me. I don't have any prior experience with home construction or the like, but I've always had an interest in it. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you for your time.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Career suggestions

This is my opinion only. But I think home inspection is tough to do on part time basis.

When I am not inspecting I am working on marketing and continuing my own education.

Remember as a home inspector you have to be a bit of several trades, carpenter, plumber ,electrician, roofer, HVAC tech, landscaper structural engineer, pest inspector, code compliance etc...

Then there is the liability of our profession. When you examine a home you are now responsible for what you evaluated.

There are many of these classes out there that say you can make 50K working 25hrs a week, it is all rubbish.

There is so much to know and you never know it all. I was not a contractor but I have a background in HazMat, emergency response, compliance as well as owning rental property and GC the building my own home and performing all the electrical, finish carpentry and finish plumbing.

There are many here who have many more years than me and are much more knowledgeable.

So if you decide on this path it may be a career choice not a part time occupation.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Stephen G Guest

tsellen, what you sellen, eh? okay I went there. lol

look, pilot school and flying takes care and commitment. As Don said, this aint part time ship, because it is care and a bunchload of commitment. Inspect one (1) home and your in it for life. Liability doesnt end with retirement
    I have a multiple trade background, so it helps, but, home inspection is a new breed. You spend off days reading, and researching building sciences. Getting links to new technology or old legacy stuff.
    If you love to learn and like to meet some great people looking for honest, no non sense answers.

Welcome

sdg
    home inspector
    (canada chapter)

Darrel Hood Guest

Since you asked for career suggestions, here is mine. If you qualify, join the Air Force as an officer and fly for them. I did it for 10 years and it is a great living.

This is not the right time to become a home inspector in most locations.

Quote Originally Posted by tsellen View Post
    Over the last few months I've been researching the job outlook for a home inspector, salary, certification, ect. My current profession as a pilot has been extremely unstable, and I've been contemplating other supplementary career options. I'm not interested at this time to exit my profession, but rather, just looking to supplement the fluctuations in my income. My current schedule allows approximately 15-18 days off per month.

If you have a moment to spare, I'd like to get your valuable input on the profession and also recommended courses and training options. I've completed my Bachelor of Science degree online and that format to worked very well for me. I don't have any prior experience with home construction or the like, but I've always had an interest in it. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you for your time.
    I think that if you really want to make just a supplemental income you should go and work at a local store in the mall or Home Depot or Lowe's. I'm not trying to be ugly about it, but the home inspection profession is difficult at most just doing it full-time.

WI is a licensed state, you will need to meet your states requirements and take their exam which is a version of the NHIE. You will need to obtain some training, I suggest The ASHI School. They have a great training program that will benifit you in many ways..

You should budget about $3,000 for training, books and testing. Budget another $600 to $800 for equipment(tools, moisture meters, electrical testers, etc). You will need a reporting program, they range in cost from $500 to $1000. Computer if you do not have one. Budget about $3,000 a year for insurance. So, as you can see you will need about $10,000 to get started in this business and we have not even touched on marketing.

If all of this sounds good, I would say that now is a good time to enter into this profession. While it is slow you can start ramping up and be ready for when it gets busy again, I would say that will be in the Spring of 2013.

Check on home sales in your area, are home selling?
    How many other home inspectors are in your market area?
    Is there enough business to support more home inspectors?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Would you like to traid? I am a full time HI but always thaught it would be great to be a pilot. My cousin worked on a farm and called himself a pilot, piled it here and piled it there.

tsellen,

I know this is some fun being poked here but the reality this is a very serious business if you plan to do your job right.

Like any biz there are those who are out there to make a quick buck and do not care what kind of work they perform.

I try to take very good care of my clients and it takes time, lots of it.

This forum is loaded with some very smart knowledgeable inspectors. As a independent lot we all have pretty strong opinions.

It takes that to stand up for what is right. Too many home inspectors have made a mockery of the profession and those who are diligent are fighting that.

So if you are interested in going down this road be ready to jump in feet first and start swimming with the sharks ; )

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

tsellen Guest

Thanks for the candid responses. I appreciate your honest opinions on the matter. I will be sure to give it serious consideration before jumping into anything. I'm not afraid to spend a considerable amount of time and resources into something if it has potential to pay for itself. The general consensus is that this could only be full-time. Unfortunately, that wouldn't work for me. Thanks again for the suggestions.

I know of a pilot that does inspections part-time, working with a multi-inspector firm. These gigs are probably difficult to find. He is with one of the bigger airlines and does longer flights (overseas) so I believe has more full-days off. He doesn't have to handle the business side, maybe helps out with marketing as time allows. He studies up on home inspection during layovers and other spare time. The fee is split with the firm.

What is it with pilots turning to house inspection? I know of 2 former pilots who are members of this forum. Interesting. Too bad "pilot" isn't in the thread title, or you might have them weighing in on the subject.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    What is it with pilots turning to house inspection? I know of 2 former pilots who are members of this forum. Interesting. Too bad "pilot" isn't in the thread title, or you might have them weighing in on the subject.
    In many areas, firefighters do home inspections too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I am a fire fighter and just got into the business. I went through an AHIT class and learned alot. There is still alot of studying that you have to do just to take the national test if your state requires a certification. Good luck and hope you succeed.

For those who say this cant be a good part time gig, I disagree.

In my 5th year as a part timer now and still slow but steady growth. I grossed 40k this year working an average of two days a week at the HI business. I only put forth 25% of the marketing effort I could so I could easily double my HI income if I wanted to.

I had no significant experience in any of the building trades prior to starting my HI endeavor.

Organized observations, ability to research what you don't know, good communication skills - both in person and in writing - and most importantly, understanding who it is you work for. Align yourself with home buyers interests and forget about trying to make or maintain relationships with realtors.

Not a good part time gig? Ha....my butt........ Excellent in my opinion.

part time inspectors (with the right skills)
    can make a substantial income
    if in the right market area

On your own will be difficult part time...

Working for someone
    in a strong market
    may be the way to go. (if you have the skill set and qualifications).

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    For those who say this cant be a good part time gig, I disagree.

In my 5th year as a part timer now and still slow but steady growth. I grossed 40k this year working an average of two days a week at the HI business. I only put forth 25% of the marketing effort I could so I could easily double my HI income if I wanted to.

I had no significant experience in any of the building trades prior to starting my HI endeavor.

Organized observations, ability to research what you don't know, good communication skills - both in person and in writing - and most importantly, understanding who it is you work for. Align yourself with home buyers interests and forget about trying to make or maintain relationships with realtors.

Not a good part time gig? Ha....my butt........ Excellent in my opinion.
    In my 3rd year
    $XXX,XXX (full time)

Your mileage may vary

But
    todays market much different
    than before....

You have to have the market details
    in your area.

# Owner Occupied?
    % Turnover Annual
    Potential Inspections (70 percent of settled properties monthly)
    Capture Rate...

David McGuire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bilson View Post
    I am a fire fighter and just got into the business. I went through an AHIT class and learned alot. There is still alot of studying that you have to do just to take the national test if your state requires a certification. Good luck and hope you succeed.
    Phil, I hope you went to a school other than AHIT. Kansas does not allow AHIT distance courses for initial training. You can use AHIT for CE, but not the state required initial training of 80 hours.